Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding up to date accurate information concerning Ethanol Free gasoline appears to be a difficult task. Most on-line posted information is either not dated or if it is dated, its old and inaccurate. MB Government has had a policy to eliminate all Ethanol Free Gasoline since 2007. It appears Shell Premium is the only Ethanol Free gas available to Manitobans now.
Pure-gas.org appears to be the most up to date information and they list Shell only. That supports Catman's post couple of weeks ago that COOP premium is 10% ethanol. Costo premium is mentioned however there seems to be a caveat with Kirkland brand, so that too may be USA only.

Don't bother with the available Android or iPhone apps., they are relevant to the US only. If anyone has additional pertinent current information, weigh in.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
All grades of Shell gasoline now contain Ethanol, they added it to their premium earlier in the year, stations (at least the one I use) have stickers on their pumps indicating that their grades may contain 10% Ethanol, previously they had a sticker that said their V-Power Premium did not contain Ethanol, that sticker was removed earlier in the year. That Pure Gas info is very dated and very inaccurate........anyone can post anything, it's not verified by anyone and if the last time someone bothered to update that location was three years ago........so be it, three year old info. If you look at the dates when most of the Shells were updated last.......... it was in 2020, some are even 2017, much has changed this past year with the governments mandate, two Shell's were updated in May 2021............even that update for those two stations was just before Shell added to all their grades. Pure Gas........., yup, good reliable current info right there! LOL

. .

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Interesting.. Which premium gas do you use?
I used Shell V Power because it was one of the only grades that didn't contain Ethanol, that changed earlier in the year. No need to use premium anymore since they all now contain Ethanol. Been using regular grade since mid summer, I add the Yamalube additive/conditioner to help reduce/eliminate the harmful effects of the Ethanol.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Not a chemist or mechanic & so I have this question. Seeing as all grades of non diesel gasoline now contain ethanol can I safely run mid grade in my boat, UTV & snowmobiles.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Not that it helps much but Co-Op town of Ste. Anne for sure, probably all Co-Op's, are ethanol free Premium gas till the New Year.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Not a chemist or mechanic & so I have this question. Seeing as all grades of non diesel gasoline now contain ethanol can I safely run mid grade in my boat, UTV & snowmobiles.
Almost every motor/engine made is engineered to run on regular grade gasoline. Exceptions would be high performance motors/engines requiring higher Octane.............folks only ran premium because all other grades have contained Ethanol for quite a while already, since that is no longer the case, no longer necessary. My 2020 Yamaha owners manual actually lists using regular gasoline in the outboard, as did all my other outboards in the past....I used premium only because of Ethanol in everything else. No benefit that I know of running mid-grade for normal motors/engines.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Not that it helps much but Co-Op town of Ste. Anne for sure, probably all Co-Op's, are ethanol free Premium gas till the New Year.
Co-Op was allowed to continue not adding Ethanol to their premium because of the volume they were selling. That changes at the start of 2022 when the threshold is raised, they will no longer qualify.............get it while you can....15 days and counting!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just keep in mind that the gas companies are required to have at least 10% ethanol in the fuel. There are a few that have close to 20% out there. Watch out for the companies that offer rebate cheques at the end of the year.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Only company that gives rebate cheques that I know of is Co-op. Is that a dig aimed at them?? And why watch out for these companies? If it’s a legislated requirement all grades of regular gasoline contain ethanol what and where is the issue? What am I missing?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I’ve been running premium 91/93 in all my toys only for the non ethanol content. Oldest are my quads which are an 03 and an 05. Never an issue. Once all fuel contains ethanol I may as well run 87. Arctic cat sleds and quads are designed to run on 87. It is recommended to re-jet carbs to a bigger jet if you run ethanol fuel. My Bearcat sled has original jets yet so I may have to re-jet that soon.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat XT 570. Eskimo F1 Rocket, Eskimo 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 798Ci HD SI

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Only company that gives rebate cheques that I know of is Co-op. Is that a dig aimed at them?? And why watch out for these companies? If it’s a legislated requirement all grades of regular gasoline contain ethanol what and where is the issue? What am I missing?
You think the effects of 10% Ethanol is bad.............20% can't be better!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Finding up to date accurate information concerning Ethanol Free gasoline appears to be a difficult task. Most on-line posted information is either not dated or if it is dated, its old and inaccurate.
Online info is normally badly out of date. Around mid-summer only Co-op and Shell premiums were ethanol free that I found. Being so close to the deadline the switchover to 10% in all grades could occur at any time now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used premium only because of Ethanol in everything else. No benefit that I know of running mid-grade for normal motors/engines.
I've only really noticed a benefit in smaller 2 stroke engines, some seem to idle a better on premium. Even my old 20HP 'rude back in the day (pre-ethanol) idled better on premium though I don't remember the manual requirement.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Canadian tire in Southdale had a sticker stating no ethanal on the premium pump the other day. Wonder if they forgot to change the sticker?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts