Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some input on the Otter and Eskimo flip over ice fishing tents. I have a 949 i Fatfish which has been great but I mostly go with just one other person and the appeal of the flip-over for set up has peeked my interest....thoughts?

·
Registered
285 Posts
flip over is very nice.. the down side is room (square footage), the bigger the flip over is a bitch to load and unload.. ive been using otter for a while, the build quality is top notch..

personally if you have a snow machine and trailer, flip over is the way to go.. shelter and storage combined

if you are using your truck, no real benefit.. your truck bed only hauls the flip over and your fishing equipment has no where to go

·
Registered
358 Posts
I moved to an otter flip over last year and I love it. Excellent quality. I do have the luxury however, of being able to hook up with the sled and drive right out my back fence to be on the river in ten minutes, so no loading and unloading. It is heavy, but I like to get out by myself sometimes as well and the flip over makes it so much easier to set up. I also have a trailer for hauling sled and sleigh for when I hit the road, but set up a winch on the trailer so I don't have to lift anything, just winch it up the ramp and done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flip over is very nice.. the down side is room (square footage), the bigger the flip over is a bitch to load and unload.. ive been using otter for a while, the build quality is top notch..

personally if you have a snow machine and trailer, flip over is the way to go.. shelter and storage combined

if you are using your truck, no real benefit.. your truck bed only hauls the flip over and your fishing equipment has no where to go
Yes that's what I thought too....I am using a snowmobile also.....thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I moved to an otter flip over last year and I love it. Excellent quality. I do have the luxury however, of being able to hook up with the sled and drive right out my back fence to be on the river in ten minutes, so no loading and unloading. It is heavy, but I like to get out by myself sometimes as well and the flip over makes it so much easier to set up. I also have a trailer for hauling sled and sleigh for when I hit the road, but set up a winch on the trailer so I don't have to lift anything, just winch it up the ramp and done.
My snowmobile goes into my enclosed trailer but no room for the sleigh so I have a winch set-up in mind for the back of my truck with a ramp....thanks for the info!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Back in 2018 I contemplated whether to buy a flip over or a hub style. Price dictated my purchase so I bought a Eskimo 3i. I have an 6x12 enclosed trailer that holds my Bearcat sled.
For me the only thing in the sleigh is the shack, cooler, propane tank and chairs. My tent stands up in the V of the trailer and sleigh stands up inside on one side. I strap them to the wall. My sled has an auger rack up front and a large rack on the back for everything else.
I guess it all depends on what you’re carrying in the sled and what’s in the sleigh that will determine how heavy it is. If you’re the type that runs and guns the flip up would probably be a better choice. I have since gone to a Digger auger rack on the front of sled.

Reactions: smerf

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back in 2018 I contemplated whether to buy a flip over or a hub style. Price dictated my purchase so I bought a Eskimo 3i. I have an 6x12 enclosed trailer that holds my Bearcat sled.
For me the only thing in the sleigh is the shack, cooler, propane tank and chairs. My tent stands up in the V of the trailer and sleigh stands up inside on one side. I strap them to the wall. My sled has an auger rack up front and a large rack on the back for everything else.
I guess it all depends on what you’re carrying in the sled and what’s in the sleigh that will determine how heavy it is. If you’re the type that runs and guns the flip up would probably be a better choice. I have since gone to a Digger auger rack on the front of sled.
Thanks for the info. .....good to hear how others configure there set ups....I have to make sure I keep the sleigh short enough to fit in my 6.5' truck box and that should not be a problem.....and yes I do run and gun so another reason I am leaning to the flip over sleigh!....was thinking Eskimo but now leaning towards Otter as it has a better track record for being durable from what I have read!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks for the info. .....good to hear how others configure there set ups....I have to make sure I keep the sleigh short enough to fit in my 6.5' truck box and that should not be a problem.....and yes I do run and gun so another reason I am leaning to the flip over sleigh!....was thinking Eskimo but now leaning towards Otter as it has a better track record for being durable from what I have read!
I would go with the Otter for a flip over too when/if I go that way.

Reactions: smerf
1 - 13 of 13 Posts