Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a mako43cc and I'm having a bit of an issue with it. when I pull the throttle to the max, the auger kind of bogs out and looses power, almost like it is getting flooded. it starts and idles 100% but yea when I open the throttle full power it just bogs out. I am always running fresh premium, with a bit of sea foam (is that a good thing to do even?) and the recommended ratio of gas-oil (20:1).
i am thinking it's a carb problem? is there adjustments to do?

if you have any idea or have experienced similar problems, any tip would be appreciated !
stay safe out there ! :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Too much oil, mix at 50:1

Reactions: SereneCarbine

·
Registered
977 Posts
The online manual said 50:1, my eskimo is 50:1. Just my suggestion,

Reactions: yvespicyk

·
Registered
34 Posts
My stingray 33cc is doing the same thing. I'm going the change the spark plug and order a carb kit hopefully that fixes it. I use preium gas mixed 50:1 with a bit of seafoam. I can drill 2 or 3 holes then it bogs out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh man.... the ratio in the manual is in gallon:eek:unce .... fml lol 50:1 makes more sense now

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wrong manual. Does your unit have this sticker?

nope i don't have that sticker and theres nothing on the cap either. I guess the manual is from the US, and the whole ratio was not metric and i honestly didn't even pay attention to that hahah

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

its all fixed now though, thanks !

·
Registered
288 Posts
The ratio doesn't change regardless of whether it is imperial or metric. If it was a fuel issue should bog while idling.

This sounds like not enough fuel due to the fuel tank not being vented - open the air vent fully if equipped.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
nope i don't have that sticker and theres nothing on the cap either. I guess the manual is from the US, and the whole ratio was not metric and i honestly didn't even pay attention to that hahah

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

its all fixed now though, thanks !
My manual says 2.5oz for 1 x gallon = 50:1
I get 4 x litres of Shell premium (no ethanol) and add 2.5oz of 2 stroke oil. 5oz for 8 litres.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Sea foam should not be used with every fill. It is not intended to be a fuel additive but rather as a fix. It is a drying agent and will slowly but surely dry out your plastic and rubber components but more importantly will eventually burn your motor from being too lean. Fuel stabilizer is intended for regular use and will keep your engine running well when mixed with good premium gas. Only use sea foam as a carb cleaner or liquid tune up and once you are running smoothly switch to stabilizer in your gas. Then sell your auger and buy a strikemaster! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ratio doesn't change regardless of whether it is imperial or metric. If it was a fuel issue should bog while idling.

This sounds like not enough fuel due to the fuel tank not being vented - open the air vent fully if equipped.
I saw 20:1 so i went 1L of oil for 20L of gas lol i honestly dont even know why it didnt click in my head that that was way too much lol :roll::???:

air vent wasn't a problem. I switched the gas:eek:il ratio and its all good now.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sea foam should not be used with every fill. It is not intended to be a fuel additive but rather as a fix. It is a drying agent and will slowly but surely dry out your plastic and rubber components but more importantly will eventually burn your motor from being too lean. Fuel stabilizer is intended for regular use and will keep your engine running well when mixed with good premium gas. Only use sea foam as a carb cleaner or liquid tune up and once you are running smoothly switch to stabilizer in your gas. Then sell your auger and buy a strikemaster! :)
X2, seafoam for only a short period if at all, then sell but buy Tanaka!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine, but it was due to the vibration at higher speed causing the choke lever to move toward the ON (full) position that you set it at to start the motor. I tightened the screw on the choke lever, it stayed put, and the problem went away.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'll just say that Sea-Foam is a terrible carb cleaner... its more of a carbon cleaner when run through an engine.
Try this test if you don't believe me... take a green carb bowl (that is if you've got one) and soak it in sea foam overnight (hell for a week even)... it will not get rid of that varnish. use a actual carb cleaning agent (no, not the stuff cdn tire or PA sells), there are only two that i trust/use... Mercury power ture (its back to it's original good formula, YAY!) or the green spray bottle Suzuki stuff (can't remember the name). those two will start to remove the varnish the second you start spraying the pieces affected. EDIT... this test works well with really dirty pennies as well... soak one is Sea-Foam and another in Power Tune and see the difference.
(ask the guys at Cummins what they think about Sea-Foam)

Another really good method, but not everybody has access to is an ultrasonic cleaner... that works wonders!

myself for all my outdoor power equipment stuff, i run premium fuel with Sta-Bil... that's it! for the last 10+ years without so much as a hiccup! the two stroke stuff gets Opti-2 for the pre-mix... that's it. I can do all my own work if needed, but haven't had to touch my own stuff as this method is gold.

Sorry for the long winded response, but there's a lot of snake oil out there... Sea-Foam has its place, but its not in every tank IMO.
Buy quality fuel/oils/additives for your equipment and you will be rewarded.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts