Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m fairly new to ice fishing. I have never tried ice fishing on Lake Winnipeg. I was at the EOM last weekend and there were several convoys of cars driving north from EOM to Lake Winnipeg. I was thinking of attempting the drive or would you be better driving onto the lake from one of the other access points. I was wondering how difficult the drive is, if anyone has done it this year. I know there were a lot of snow drifts around EOM last weekend. I would be driving an AWD SUV. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I did it last Friday, there was a decent path beaten down but some big drifts also along it with leftover chunks of broken bumper in a few places. So I’d say go at your own risk.
Quite shallow right at the mouth and I found there was dirt or silt in the ice that I drilled in one spot and seemed to have dulled my auger blades

hope this helps, cheers

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
We drove eom to the mouth Wednesday, some really deep ruts, I wouldn't do it in a awd suv, unless its a truck based one like a Yukon or 4runner. Its really shallow at the mouth, the ice is all uneven cause its frozen to the bottom, I was looking at my chart select and we were already a ways out and it was still 1-3 fow!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Thanks for the information. I will have to decide if it’s worth the risk or to try somewhere else.
Rule of thumb for LW is don't do it solo unless you're ready to get unstuck by yourself. Lots of convoys will be going that way and if you post here, on FB, etc. I'm sure you'll find a group that will let you tag along with them. Also, remember to secure your items in your vehicle. I wrecked a Big Buddy heater and bent a flight because I hit a few hard spots at higher speed trying not to get stuck.

·
Administrator
1,474 Posts
Lake Winnipeg is a pretty harsh lake on vehicles and will make you feel insignificant. I've been stuck too many times on truck that I will never go there with one vehicle again unless there's hardly any snow anywhere. Metal shovels, tow straps and heavy duty planks always stay in the truck. Every outing, prepare to sustain yourself for at least 24 hours by having a full tank of gas, extra propane and food in case you get stranded. Not to say this is common but better to be prepared for it when it does happen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. With the wind gusts today I decided to play it safe and go somewhere else to fish. I will wait to get more experience before driving on Lake Winnipeg and may look at walking on at Gimili first.

·
Registered
799 Posts
you will very limited as to how far you can walk out at Gimli. The snow has become hard packed and the drifts were worse today after the very strong blustery gusty winds. 6 members from Interlake snow trackers (IST) including myself pegged & marked the Piston Popper Trail from Gimli to Grand Marais Friday & a crack about 1 1/4 miles out from Gimli opened up Friday that wasn’t there Thursday when 3 of us rode to Grand Marais to recon the lake checking lake & ice conditions to plot a route.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts