Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a New trolling motor to pair with my 17.5' Sylvan. I had a Minnkota powerdrive 55lbs. of thrust but it wasn't powerful enough in current or wind and had a few issues also. I want to stay with a bow mount and I fish from the cockpit behind a windshield where my Humminbird is mounted so cable drive is not going to work! I am leaning towards the 24 V Terrova by Minnkota but have to say I am not thrilled about there historical reliability in the electronics department! I had many issues with mine. Wondering about Motorguide or Garmin and I hear there are a couple more manufacturers that have surfaced as well! Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I bought a 24 V Minn Kota Terrova I-Plot 80lb 60 Inch three years ago no issues, holds my 18' heavy Lund with full windshield fine. No problems with and the remote, works great.

I do wish I had gone with a longer shaft so the prop would not come out of the water on wavy days.
Making sure no fishing line has wrapped around it is the key for longevity.
Charging batteries right after every outing is a good practice as well.
If I did it again I would like to have the Ulterra, but its not that much of a need to do it.
I don't know about other brands.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had the exact same Minn kota on my old boat, only in a 70LB thrust I believe it was. I found that was not even enough with my 17.2 Smokercraft some times. When I upgraded the boat to an 18.5" lund, I changed out the motor and went with the Xi5 Motorguide 105 lb thrusst, 36 volt. If I were you I would be looking for a motor in the 80lb thrust range, minimum. Some times you just need more power, especially in heavy wind or current. Lover the Motorguide by the way. I have been out island camping in Quesnel for three days fishing and it's never moved off full power.

Reactions: smerf

·
Administrator
1,508 Posts
My 18' uses a 24v 80lb Terrova 60" shaft. I will say that it does hold me on the spot alright with spotlock. On very windy days it can die by the end of the day though that could be remedied with bigger batteries. I'm using 2 group 27 lead batteries so I will upgrade them when they wear out. It's no Ultrex but it's pretty easy to stow.

The US2 transducer is pretty nice too as if you're mounting a graph at the bow all you need is the right adapter and any graph you own can utilize 2D. It's useful for the person operating the foot pedal to keep track of depth.

Something to note when choosing a trolling motor is that it's networkable with your electronics (if you choose to go down that path). I have i-pilot link and I can tell my motor to hover on a waypoint on the Helix and can spotlock without a remote should my remote die or was left at home.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you looking for new or used? New is pretty scare right now from what I'm reading online. So that might push you more in one direction over another.
I prefer new or used but newer....yes I heard they are low in numbers being delivered to Canada....I heard Holiday RV in Steinbach has them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts