Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello the strike master has no ring on the bottom,Where my old jiffy did and it would redrill holes.My buddy got a Ion auger and noticed it had the ring on the bottom.I will have to check and see if my blades are serated.I have been useing a bar to reopen holes next day.I wondr if u could weld a ring on the bottom?
you can get a chipper flight from strikemaster. better for dirty ice and reopening old holes. i have 1 just for fishing the red, river ice can be hard on blades. I know guys with the lazers who destroyed the flight redrilling holes in 1 winter in a permanent house. bent the blade mounts.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've used both the strikemaster 40v and the ion g2, both are great, i liked the g2 better so I bought one, it arrived at the same time this shit weather did so I am waiting to try it out. I saw the canadian tire sale as I was looking hard, it wasn't the g2 that I saw, bought from SAIL.ca it was on sale for $875 free shipping and only one tax

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I've used both the strikemaster 40v and the ion g2, both are great, i liked the g2 better so I bought one, it arrived at the same time this shit weather did so I am waiting to try it out. I saw the canadian tire sale as I was looking hard, it wasn't the g2 that I saw, bought from SAIL.ca it was on sale for $875 free shipping and only one tax
Good deal on the G2. Just saw they've sold out online and they only have the 8" model. Will be keeping my eye open for a 10" model when they go on sale.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Still shredding ice with my Milwaukee 2804 and Eskimo pistol bit. Picked up a brand new, in package 12 amp hour battery on kijiji. This thing just rips through the ice. Of course, sharp blades make all the difference. However, it's light, portable and has multiple uses while I'm out there (ice anchors). No regrets.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the same drill and battery, paired with the new Cabelas EZE drill. That thing rips through the ice!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I always like to put a vote in on these threads for the propane units. I came across an open-box special at Canadian Tire about 5 years ago for a Jiffy Pro4x at $275 and it's been an absolute dream. Last year I replaced the fuel line, which was cheap and easy, and have sharpened the blades exactly one time. It's never let us down. Just another option, anyhow...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just bought my first ever electric... the SM40v Lite. Cabela's price matched Fishin' Hole, so saved me a bit of a trip. Can not wait to test it out, after several years with the Jiffy Pro4x propane unit. This new SM feels about half the weight.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Heard good things about the standard electric Strikemaster. Not sure how the lite compares and guess it all comes down to hole size and ice thickness. Buddy has the Eskimo propane and it's a beast, but I like the lighter weight of the electric augers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just bought the ion alpha 8 inch steel @ winnipeg ice fishing show. looking forward to trying it out this season. first auger purchase, have just relied on others when going out. anyone else buy the ion alpha or alpha plus?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey guys, I don't ice fish a ton and when i do it's only a couple holes (usually) for the day. Because of this I'm thinking of saving some cash and buying the 24V SM opposed to the 40V or an Ion. Should i stick with my plan or is it honestly worth it getting one of those beefier models? thanks.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts