Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like my Strikemaster which I've had for 3 seasons. I have both 8" and 10",but use the 8" mostly. Here was I like most about it( I'm fishing faster). From time I get somewhere to lines in the water. Most times before someone with a gas auger has warmed up his machine.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have used my Strikemaster 40V-10" c/w laser blade for 2 seasons now. Very fast drilling and lots of power, even through 3.5'+ of ice. A chipper blade is needed if re-drilling holes. I was reluctant at first about electric, but now I would never go back to gas.

·
Administrator
1,555 Posts
I'm on my 3rd season with my SM electric auger (wow time really flies). I use it on thick ice all the time on Lake Winnipeg. Honestly it's so much nicer to use compared to gas, all my buddies have gas and when we take an auger out it's always mine. The pros of electric include:

1) Zero startup time compared to gas having to warm up. Just insert the battery and you're good to go, even in -40.

2) Not having to breath fumes. This is pretty good when having to carry an auger around or drilling inside the shack. Pretty much the biggest reason I like electric.

3) No potential to leak gas. This is good for guys who only have SUVs and don't want to smell gas the whole drive. You can safely leave it in your bathtub to defrost the ice off your flyte.

4) It's brain-dead easy to use. Press a button and it drills. Gas can be finicky at times and is not as intuitive, especially for people inexperienced with small engines.

5) Reverse is a super useful feature. Never get an auger flyte stuck again or you can use reverse to flush slush down a hole.

6) Maintenance is super easy compared to gas.

7) It's quiet.

There are some cons which I personally don't have issues with but are worth considering:

1) Batteries must be kept warm. Some people stuff them in their jackets and it might be uncomfortable.

2) Hard to charge when not having access to an outlet. You might need a generator if you go off the grid for days.

3) No personal experience with this but it would seem like gas is far easier to repair compared to electric. Lots of small engine mechanics would be able to fix a 2-stroke gas auger.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just keep my battery on the auger all day and leave it outside. If it’s really cold you can free spin it, without cutting ice for 5 seconds or so. The battery warms up, and all the snow and ice melts off the battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 5 amp ION R1 and would never go back to gas. Crimson has listed all the benefits already but the most important for me is it's guaranteed to work and is quiet, no fumes. I've never had an issue with my battery getting cold and I don't even think about it.

Wait a couple more weeks and you'll start to see the Augers go on sale, I bought my ION R1 Auger on sale last year for $675. If you go into Cabela's and ask the guys in fishing to check when the sales are they will look it up on their computer and give you the dates. They're good that way.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also watch Canadian Tire, they had the Ion Gen 2 on sale last year for $750. I know everything is a premium this year with Covid but you might get lucky. I was really close to buying the Gen 2 but it didn't come with an extension.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Also watch Canadian Tire, they had the Ion Gen 2 on sale last year for $750. I know everything is a premium this year with Covid but you might get lucky. I was really close to buying the Gen 2 but it didn't come with an extension.

Are you sure it was the G2 or IonX? G2 8" is over $1000 and I've never seen it go that low anywhere. I could be wrong (and would happy to be wrong because I'd love one at that price).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm on season 3 of my Brushless 18v drill, clam plate and mora auger. Added a 24" ion extension the first season now have ±50" depth and worked any time I've been out. I'd highly recommend this to anyone that already has a high torque drill and multiple batteries. I find on hard ice (but keep the blades sharp) I can get about 30 - 40' of ice on a 3.0Ah battery and about 60' on a 5.0 Ah. I have 5 batteries as all my cordless tools run on these. In the cold temps a small cooler with a handwarmer tossed in keeps all my batteries safe and warm. Like a previous poster mentioned, if you forget / leave the battery on outside just let it spin for 5-10 seconds before drilling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
electric strike master

I have used my Strikemaster 40V-10" c/w laser blade for 2 seasons now. Very fast drilling and lots of power, even through 3.5'+ of ice. A chipper blade is needed if re-drilling holes. I was reluctant at first about electric, but now I would never go back to gas.
Hello Whats a chipper blade?I bought a 10 inch strike mater few weeks ago and noticed it doesnt like redrilling holes

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 5 amp ION R1 and would never go back to gas. Crimson has listed all the benefits already but the most important for me is it's guaranteed to work and is quiet, no fumes. I've never had an issue with my battery getting cold and I don't even think about it.

Wait a couple more weeks and you'll start to see the Augers go on sale, I bought my ION R1 Auger on sale last year for $675. If you go into Cabela's and ask the guys in fishing to check when the sales are they will look it up on their computer and give you the dates. They're good that way.

Good Luck!
how is the r1? does it preform more like the g2 which is an absolute beast, or like the older ions and ion x which i found slow rpm and gutless. Cant find much on this auger, too new

·
Registered
6 Posts
electric strike master

does your auger have a ring on the bottom makes all the difference when recutting
Hello the strike master has no ring on the bottom,Where my old jiffy did and it would redrill holes.My buddy got a Ion auger and noticed it had the ring on the bottom.I will have to check and see if my blades are serated.I have been useing a bar to reopen holes next day.I wondr if u could weld a ring on the bottom?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts