Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy the 6 rack DynaGlow propane smoker from Wayfair. The reviews are positive but I smoke a lot in the winter and I need it to function at minus 20. I have an electric Bradley but it is hard to keep up to temp in summer let alone winter. I have charcoal smoker and it works well in winter but isn't convenient for a 12hr or more smoke. Has anyone used it in winter? I have a foam cowling for the Bradley and can make one for the new one if necessary. Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm looking to buy the 6 rack DynaGlow propane smoker from Wayfair. The reviews are positive but I smoke a lot in the winter and I need it to function at minus 20. I have an electric Bradley but it is hard to keep up to temp in summer let alone winter. I have charcoal smoker and it works well in winter but isn't convenient for a 12hr or more smoke. Has anyone used it in winter? I have a foam cowling for the Bradley and can make one for the new one if necessary. Thanks
My first smoker was a home-made propane unit that worked very well at keeping steady temps in the winter, however biggest issue was excessive moisture buildup, black rain which tastes like shit. The walls and ceiling were dripping wet. Try to figure out what part of the country the Wayfair reviews originate.
My electric Bradley has served me well and I only smoke stuff from late fall till spring. Biggest issue I found that the smoker has to be protected from the wind at -20. I keep mine in the garden shed, clean the elements once a year. I always allow the smoker to preheat for a good hour to allow the walls and the door to heat to temp. and time to dry any moisture and dry off the black rain. My Bradley is 8 yo. and starting to show its age so I'm thinking at replacing it with a pellet smoker. They are pricier but its dry heat like charcoal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first smoker was a home-made propane unit that worked very well at keeping steady temps in the winter, however biggest issue was excessive moisture buildup, black rain which tastes like shit. The walls and ceiling were dripping wet. Try to figure out what part of the country the Wayfair reviews originate.
My electric Bradley has served me well and I only smoke stuff from late fall till spring. Biggest issue I found that the smoker has to be protected from the wind at -20. I keep mine in the garden shed, clean the elements once a year. I always allow the smoker to preheat for a good hour to allow the walls and the door to heat to temp. and time to dry any moisture and dry off the black rain. My Bradley is 8 yo. and starting to show its age so I'm thinking at replacing it with a pellet smoker. They are pricier but its dry heat like charcoal.
Yeah my first was a cheap CT offset charcoal which rotted out fast but I kept the firebox and put it on an old bbq with some shelving in it. Then the firebox rotted and I replaced it with an old single burner camping stove burner but it couldn't get past 225. I've had the electric analog Bradley 6 rack and now the digital 4 rack. It's just so expensive with the pucks and I prefer blue smoke to white smoke. On my charcoal I only smoke with pre burned sorta half charcoal chunks. Both Bradleys were difficult to keep up to temp when you open them to rotate or add or remove something. I usually smoke 2 or 3 different things at once so opening and closing is needed. From reviews I've seen this is the biggest and most common problem with the electric Bradleys. Usually that black rain residue you mention is from too wet an environment. I rarely use water in the pan, if ever. A dry smoker is a clean smoker and no asphalt flavour rain. Thanks for the info! Happy smoking! I love smoking day.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I can’t comment on the dynaglow but I have a True North electric smoker that works good in warm weather. I can get up to a 130 degree temperature in the summer. However when it gets cold out, I use my Pit Boss pellet grille. It will hit 180 degrees in smoke mode. Taste is just as good and it takes way less time to smoke lake trout.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about pellets. That's gotta be a lot cheaper than Bradley pucks? What might a 12 hr smoke cost? Any idea?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well I’ve never paid much attention to how much is used. I’d have to guess a 1/4 of a 40 lb bag of pellets. I’ve done ribs for 4 hours and never needed to add to hopper. If you go the route of a pellet grille and you take trips to the USA, buy them down there. Last time I was there in 2019 pellets were 40 bucks here and 15 usd down south. Peavey mart has had them on sale but stock is pathetic.
Once you taste meat cooked on a pellet grille, you’ll never go back to propane. I’ve done lake trout, pork tenderloins, whole chickens cut in half, ribs and never mind my moose meat. At this point I don’t worry about how much pellets I use lol.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

Reactions: bddl

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
I had two smokers, Masterbuilt and a Bradley.I bought a Pit Boss pellet grill, and sold both smokers. I don't cold smoke, everything is above 180f, and stuff has turned out great/spectacular so far.
40lbs pellets are $30 or less at this time of year - shop around! I bought 6 40lb bags at Peavy for $20 last year. Don't get suckered into the 20lb bags for 19.99$ (Cabelas)!!!

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
I will add, I have the factory winter blanket for the pit-boss, which allows for year round cooking/smoking. The blanket/insulation is what makes cool weather cooking easier - you go thru way less heating fuel.
One thing to be aware of with propane, is that water is a byproduct of propane combustion. This produces different results as compared to a dry heat/smoke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts