Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have some bad fuel in my Lund Tyee.

Anyone drained or syphoned fuel from an onboard fuel tank? What worked the best? Is it harmful to use the fuel pump on my outboard?

Tank is about 3/4 full.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just buy a gas syphoning kit or just a long peace of gas hose or garden hose long engough too reach the bottom of the tank. Aka with the gas line hose or garden hose you'll have too suck on it till gas comes out. Witch means your gonna be getting gas in your mouth with that method.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
you can also take the fitting off the end of your hose at the motor, and then by pumping the ball, you will pump the gas out. once the line is full, and lowered down near the ground (in a container) you can also take the ball off, and the gas will continue to siphon out on its own, as you've already created the suction.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
you can also take the fitting off the end of your hose at the motor, and then by pumping the ball, you will pump the gas out. once the line is full, and lowered down near the ground (in a container) you can also take the ball off, and the gas will continue to siphon out on its own, as you've already created the suction.

Yes that will work but would take a long time to drain it that way. Guessing a 35-40 gal tank in that Tyee, 3/4 full would take about a hour and a bit. With the hose I referenced it would take about 15 - 20 mins..........but if your not in any hurry the ball method works too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I pump a lot of tanks. I have used the boats fuel line to siphon, sure beats sucking on it.

Now I use a Facet in line 12v fuel pump. Just remove the fuel connector, attach the pump, hook it up to the boats battery, pump the bulb to prime it and walk away.
Not sure what the flow rating is but I've never had one take 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If it is like my Lund and has two fuel vent, it has a long tank. So play with the angle of the boat to get the last amount out. I am glad nobody told you to use the motors fuel pump. What Walleyeslayer7 suggested is best as you are taking from the lowest point in the tank. Longer time beats sucking gas, gag,gag,gag...puke, repeat.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I have one of those pumps you can run with a cordless drill and connects to a garden hose. I bought a 12 foot hose for cheap used teflon tape so ends don't leak and keep it in a 5 gallon pail in the shed so wife is not complaining about the smell. Think it pumps 3 gallons a minute or something but its all done in 10 even with a full tank. I have even pumped the remaining gas directly into my truck in the fall a few times now. Grief free.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
One thing to add don't buy a real cheap hose. Ends are crap and it will drip like nuts. When I said cheap I meant "On sale"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the input. this boat/motor didn't have a primer bulb but my other did so robbed the fuel line and hooked it up to the fitting on the gunnel. was a slow process but worked.

anyone know where the pick up is, top bottom and front or back?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts