Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does spoon, crank-bait size matter ... when fishing for large Pike in the Spring or early Summer?

I haven't specifically thought of them for years; but been considering it recently.
Years gone by it didn't seem to matter so much; it was Fish shallow and they would appear.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Caught a master on a small spoon, seen another guy I was fishing with catch a master pike on the smallest spoon u could buy. And a buddy of mine caught his 45 with a just a regular sized spoon. It doesn't matter what size.. more on pressentation, time and lure.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
I've got large pike using every thing from a trout sized jig to a half of a goldeye... bugger ate it right off the stinger. rigged it up and 10 sec later bam. depends on the fish and presentation, not the size.

·
Premium Member
6,955 Posts
I've caught quite a few pike over 40", and all but 2 were caught on large spoons....4" and larger, and on large plastic swim baits from 5 to 8 ". When I'm fishing big pike water, that's what I target. One of my favorites is the largest Johnson Silver Minnow with an 8 to 10 inch white, yellow, or hot pink trailer. I've caught a lot of 32 - 39 inchers on the larger lures too.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ya you'll get some big ones with small lures. But to consistently hook up with big pike you need big lures.
I would 100% disagree with you (especially in the spring). Pike are opportunist feeders. If they are actively feeding and your fishing them in the spring ( and you will learn more if sight fishing)
If you present a 3" spoon or a 10" suick in the correct presentation it will bite it. You may weed out some of the smaller Pike with larger lures but it has no effect on the large ones eating it. This guy passed by my 10" tulibee to hit my 3" tube . With 10 over 40" for the weekend they were not discriminating. Talk to lodge owners who put piles of large fish in the boat while bay fishing, they rarely go with very large baits.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
I would 100% disagree with you (especially in the spring). Pike are opportunist feeders. If they are actively feeding and your fishing them in the spring ( and you will learn more if sight fishing)
If you present a 3" spoon or a 10" suick in the correct presentation it will bite it. You may weed out some of the smaller Pike with larger lures but it has no effect on the large ones eating it. This guy passed by my 10" tulibee to hit my 3" tube . With 10 over 40" for the weekend they were not discriminating. Talk to lodge owners who put piles of large fish in the boat while bay fishing, they rarely go with very large baits.

Again, I said to "consistently" catch big jacks... bigger lures seem to work better for me. Absolutely, big jacks also bite on smaller lures some days.

Nice pike!

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Normally for the first few weeks of the season the Pike in the shallower weedy areas can be caught fairly easily on just about any sized presentation. When they move out of the easy-peasy locations into the deeper summer locations it's usually time to go big or go home when targeting the big Gators!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I have caught a MA pike on Glad, Lake, MB on a double white twister tail with a small jig head yellow/green and caught what would be MA in MB on Jan Lake, SK and Amisk, SK on a small five a diamonds spoon and the other on a big 2.5oz 5 of diamonds spoon.

I think a lot of it just has to do with right place right time right fish... part of the fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pike lures

Pike is pretty much all I go for and have caught more on a small to medium sized red and yellow five of diamonds then any other lures combined. These are my usual lakes so far

Granite Lake, SK
Amisk Lake, SK
Jan Lake, SK
Glad Lake, MB
Wellman Lake, MB

I have these hooks that I bought from a fellow out of the states, they may be more of a muskie lure but gonna try them out on Reed Lake this year and maybe Pothier, Cranberry and Simonhouse.

https://www.facebook.com/LuckyShamrockLuresandFlies?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

Lucky Shamrock Lures and Flies, prices are quite reasonable as well.

·
Banned
14 Posts
...got 40"+ Muskys twice while jigging a 3/8 jighead with a leech,...do I go out with a lure that small for Musky,....certainly not. 6" should be your lower lure size if you expect to catch more than a 1:100 rate of decent size to hammer handle fish. You might not get anything all day long tho,...but most pike and Musky ignore to small lures unless they sit in a swarm of minnows,...we had 40+ pike coughing out dozens of tiny minnows while handeling in the boat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.