Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Has anyone been at LdB for mooneye this month? It sounds like my wife and I will get out there on Saturday, and we'd really like to get into some.
Fish the river South to Seven Sisters. Find the current seams, anchor and fish for em like you would on the Red for Goldeye (slip bobber, small split shot and small hook with a piece of crawler).

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
The last few weeks people have been fishing up towards the islands before the McArthur dam. Drifting or anchored in between the islands in the current area. Biting well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hit the Lac du Bonnet area for five hours today and it went well. Only ~15 fish but some really solid mooneye between my wife and I, biggest just short of 14.75" and a total of four MAs (and one a hair short). She got the biggest fish and her first mooneye, I got a beautiful day on the river with her!

We ended up fishing the river portion and found one great area that produced well - the third spot we tried. Talked to two other groups and they had mixed success: one managed 108 fish and 8 MAs, the other a dozen or so small ones.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Did u fish up the river from LDB or down to McArthur?
We went up the river from the skinny bridge boat launch (i.e. towards the town). We tried a few spots before we found them, and the first hour or so was crazy and then it slowed down. We were too lazy to move after that, but still had the occasional fish bite - though they were mostly tiny ones at that point.

The two other groups we talked to had fished down-river, though I don't think they went out into the lake itself.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I tried Lac du Bonnet/Winnipeg River one more time today, with no luck. Not sure if it is too late in the season or the brutal weather - crazy winds and then rain - but the same spot as last week only produced one decent mooneye and a few small ones, and other spots we tried (out of the wind) were no good. Next year...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Having a cabin near lac du bonnet I fish the area quite frequently both open water and hard water. The Winnipeg river, and Lee river are both packed with fish, just as previously stated finding them at the time of year can be a bit tricky. Mcarthur falls is by far one of my favorite places to fish, this year tho for both bait and fishing has been poor. Ive caught 1 master, and a few other odd big walleye ranging all over the 20'' mark but compared to other years its been really poor. The goldeye have barely been running there, seen more ciscos this year than mooneye or goldeye.Goldeye have been biting well on the winnipeg river from the narrow bridge to the high side of the mcarthur falls generating station, try anywhere along the dike i usualy go 6-10 feet. Great falls is also producing goldeye on the low side of the damn.
Lee river has a couple good spots to fish but one spot thats actually pretty consistant to whether you catch is the pinawa channel. The second bridge on 313, fishing downstream under the bridge with a jig or lindy rig can be pretty productive. If you can catch the minnows under the bridge use them for bait, if not i find night crawlers work best here. Over a couple hour period you can catch multiple species. If your fishing by boat, your chance of catching a fish will go up tremendously. If you can get bait out of these bodies of water your success will go up that much more.
If i knew how to attach pictures i would but i dont honestly know how lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been fishing in lac dubonnet for years and this year has been the best all species hotter than most years high water helps the spawn in other words more fish on the move 38 years fishing the area eating the good ones tonight mmmmmmm!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a slow start until I fished upstream and heavy current on the Lee. It seems to be getting back to normal but there’s a lot of food in the water due to he flooding that’s keeping the bite light.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts