Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like fewer reports coming from there

and less traffic

I agree the fishing isn't what other places are but, with some work you can catch the odd one

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I fish Lac du Bonnet exclusively, other than Pine Falls in the fall. Have been for 6-7 years. Once you get to know the lake somewhat and know where the fish are depending on the time of the year, you're away to the races. Time of the year and where your fishing is very important in this lake. I have been out 2 weekends for a bit and so far and the biggest were two, each at 28.5". The worst 5 hour day has been around 15 fish, but more common catch is is 30-40 (two people). As much as I would like to, I don't jig. What I use puts fish in the boat so I just go with it.
It is just one fantastic fishery.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Time of the year and where your fishing is very important in this lake.
That is key. Keep in mind it's an impoundment, so we need to fish it as such. You have rivers and lake to fish, and the fish really make pretty big movements, depending on what their food is doing.

If one takes the time to learn what the food is doing, it will pay huge dividends here.

I have a ton to learn about that fishery, but I concentrate on Bass mostly, although i do like fishing Walleye, just not on LDB.....too much fishing pressure there on eyes, for me anyhow.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do any of you fish the river from seven sisters to the mouth of the lake?

that's my struggle
can never find any really consistency in it after the 1st week of season or there abouts
and that's the piece that's most accessible to me

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
That section can be chalk full of fish and a total dead zone at other times. Think of it as a migration zone. When you find them in there in a big way, try to find out what conditions have them there.....fish are dumb, but there's always a reason for them being where they are, and it's most often food. Location is dependent on two things, mainly--spawning and eating. There's also water temp and O2 levels etc....but best not to overcomplicate things

Fishing current can be difficult. One needs some good boat control, but if it's done right, a dead zone can be proved otherwise.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That section can be chalk full of fish and a total dead zone at other times. Think of it as a migration zone. When you find them in there in a big way, try to find out what conditions have them there.....fish are dumb, but there's always a reason for them being where they are, and it's most often food. Location is dependent on two things, mainly--spawning and eating. There's also water temp and O2 levels etc....but best not to overcomplicate things

Fishing current can be difficult. One needs some good boat control, but if it's done right, a dead zone can be proved otherwise.
thanks

I'm going to concentrate more on this section
I feel that I can catch just as many "eater" fish there as if I was to start making the long runs across the lake

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I haven't had much success on the river other than last week end and that was at the mouth. My best fishing is out on the lake as far as 13 miles from the narrow bridge.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't had much success on the river other than last week end and that was at the mouth. My best fishing is out on the lake as far as 13 miles from the narrow bridge.
always concerned about weather
everyone tells me that 3ok winds make the lake un passable

why I always have stuck from bridge to mouth

·
Registered
20 Posts
I fish that area a lot and during a conversation with another person that fishes the area they said they've been caught out in 6' waves. I found that hard to believe, until a couple weekends ago when we crossed the lake in 4' - 5' waves lol. Wind howls out of the west and it gets pretty bad pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I got caught in the rough stuff same as the tournament guys couple weeks ago. About 3 foot waves, nothing more. That was probably the roughest I have ever experienced it on Lac du Bonnet. If it was 5-6 foot waves I would be pulled into a sheltered area and waiting it out even with a 20 ft boat... no matter how long it would take.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
The MBA's Lac Du Bonnet Bass tournament had the day ending with 3 footers. The 20 min trip to the east end took an hr and a half on average, back to La Verendrye ramp. It was nasty. I could have gotten up on top, we did actually for about 300 yards, but the beating the boat and us were taking did not make it worthwhile.

"unpassable" is relative to size of boat and the confidence of the boat operator. Know your limits...of yourself and of your boat.

I've been in for real honest to goodness 6 foot waves on LOTW...we were in an 18' very buoyant boat...doing 5mph for an hour and a half sucks, but we never felt unsafe....just keep the bow to the waves and move at a speed where you're not spearing waves and you should be plenty safe....just wet and annoyed

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Just a note about waves. It's more often the frequency of the wave that makes them terrible, or not so bad.

The tourney on LDB had 3 foot waves, but they were spanned far apart, making them ride brutal. I've been in neckdowns in the Whitefish Bay area of Woods with 4 footers that spanned tight (higher frequency) and once you're on plane (getting on plane is the crummy bangy part, but only lasts maybe 6 seconds when the wind is pushing the bow up) then I could throttle up on top and all we'd get is some ticking over top, riding the peaks and staying out of the valleys....you had to go at least 30 mph to get a nice ride tho.....too slow and the transom would have a chance to dip in the valleys.

Aire Ride pedestals are the shiz!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got caught in the stretch from Bird River to Lee River in 4-5 footers. we were in the old mans 18.5 runabout. it was 5mph like @MikeB or get up and ride the tops. I chose to ride up top, but had to be at 45+MPH and every once in a while you got a break in the frequency and you get a little airborn. agreed, if you don't know yours or your boats limits, don't do it... if you do, it can be fun (mom doesn't think that trip was fun, but me and the old man had a blast)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts