Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why not just replicate a Northland crawler harness? They seem to work well for me. I like the idea of making your own to cut costs.

According to their website they use a 60" 17lb fluro leader, #6 or #4 blade and #2 or #4 hook. I'd be interested in seeing how a slow death hook on a tiny swivel would do or if the action of the blade would kill the slow death roll.

·
Registered
401 Posts
you can buy kits that include blades of all kinds (big, small, tomahawk etc), beads, line protectors for the blades, etc. or you can buy them separate. I got onto tying my own about a year ago, experiment!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been tying my own for at least 25yrs. Some basic bead colours or colour combos and a Quik-change clevis. 5- 4mm beads is about right for #2 Colorado to #4 Colorado blades, or, 1 bead, 1 float, 1 bead in real snaggy water like Lac Du Bonnet. 42" of 12# fluorocarbon works good w/ 10# Fireline mainline. Always breaks the snell before the mainline when snagged. Two #4 octopus hooks, 3 1/2" apart on snell knots. Good space for a half crawler, whole minnow or let the back hook dangle with leeches. Usually have 5 Tackle Tamer's full (60) on board w/ blades as I think I will need. Smaller ones in spring, med. size all summer, bigger ones in fall. Whole bunch of colours to keep the walleyes and my wife interested. Found roll up pouches for wrenches at Princess Auto, they make awesome bottom bouncer storage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.