Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

depth maps

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jwitt 
#1 ·
does anyone know of a place to get free depth maps i am looking for one of oak lake and pelican lake and rock lake

#2 ·
The only places I can think of that may have free maps would be the library or if you can get access to the maps at a university. Obviously these places aren't going to be giving the maps away though.

Otherwise I'd say your options are the maps produced by the government or the collection of GPS maps compiled by Navionics. I own both and though neither are free both are great to own. Also, if you are thinking of spending on the Navionics maps I'd look first at the pros and cons of them vs. the paper maps. The Navionics ones seem o be a compilation of the maps produced by the government. So if ou only fish th southern basen of LW for example, you can save money by just buying that map in a paper format. If you travel around lots of like using the GPS on the ice/water the Navionics maps may be great for you.

#4 ·
Hmmmmm.... Firstly I said Navionics, not Navatronics, which I'm not certain is even a real company. I have heard of a company called Navtronics before but that's not related to this conversation.

Navionics most certainly has the maps I'm referring to and I know this for a few reasons. Firstly, I own the Navionics maps I was speaking about. They are Navionics' Gold marine Charts, Canada and SE Alaska (2XG). Secondly: http://www.cabelas.ca/product/22285/navionics-gold-charts-canada-and-se-alaska If you'll look at the description of the product you will see that Manitoba is covered.

#5 ·
Sorry for the spelling error. I didn't mean to confuse you.
Back to the topic.
Are you saying Navionics does indeed have depth charts on it for Rock, Pelican and Oak Lakes? It was my understanding the chip only had limited information on Manitoba. Mostly just Lake Winnipeg south basin. I don't have the chip so I really don't know, just from what I read.

#7 ·
Ac said:
Back to the topic.
Are you saying Navionics does indeed have depth charts on it for Rock, Pelican and Oak Lakes? It was my understanding the chip only had limited information on Manitoba. Mostly just Lake Winnipeg south basin. I don't have the chip so I really don't know, just from what I read.
Sorry for my reaction. I thought you were telling me that I was wrong and there is NO maps for Manitoba produced by Navionics. You are correct though, the map pack is limited and I haven't looked to see if those three lakes are included. I forgot to tie all of my original message together to further explain that the Navionics maps seem to be just a GPS ready collection of the already available angling maps for Manitoba who I think produce a few maps of the lakes he is looking for. So there is a chance that the Navionics chip either already has some of those lakes of might in the future through an update. I just can't guarantee that.

#8 ·
AT3NCION said:
Ac said:
Back to the topic.
Sorry for my reaction. I thought you were telling me that I was wrong and there is NO maps for Manitoba produced by Navionics. You are correct though, the map pack is limited and I haven't looked to see if those three lakes are included. I forgot to tie all of my original message together to further explain that the Navionics maps seem to be just a GPS ready collection of the already available angling maps for Manitoba who I think produce a few maps of the lakes he is looking for. So there is a chance that the Navionics chip either already has some of those lakes of might in the future through an update. I just can't guarantee that.
Navionics Gold doesn't really have many Manitoba Lakes in their coverage. Winnipeg River, Lake Winnipeg, Lake Manitoba and a section of the Red River. Oh, and Brereton Lake in the Whiteshell for some reason...

The only option for depth maps for most Manitoba Lakes are the paper ones that Canada Map Sales sells.

#9 ·
bobbyw said:
does anyone know of a place to get free depth maps i am looking for one of oak lake and pelican lake and rock lake
Well under shared maps I have shared Rivers and Pelican Lake. I paid for the two maps from the Conservation office by the old police station in Brandon. Well others out by purchasing a lake map and posting it on here. It costs money to give and take but if I take a map I post a map that way the database grows. I am putting the link to Pelican Lake that I posted below.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3883&view=unread&sid=9e4095fc7519b38dfb77a2b8b504f6af#unread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.