Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were a few hearty souls on the lake this morning. Dono, Brad and myself drove out. We found a minimum of 12 inches at the numerous spots we drilled to check thickness. Driving was easy 2 wheel drive would have done it. There are the usual ridges and cracks to watch for. I also drove over some frozen slush pockets. Some of the test holes had clearer water than others I noticed as well.

I fished only 20 in 1 hole no fish for me. A auger issue and the cold made me hang it up early. I would guess there should be a good 16 inches by next weekend.

Dono and Brad are still out. I am sure they will report what they catch.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
We were heading out towards the first big ridge but stopped dead at the first shack. There is a semi new crack about a foot and a half wide just past that shack that is really hard to see. Only 11 inches on either side and only 3 inches in the crack. easy to drop a tire in there. We turned back at that point and stayed closer in.

sleds and quads should be fine at this point but would give it another week before pounding around the lake in trucks. If you take a truck drill as you go testing the thickness as you go.

Marked piles of bait/ perch or whatever, marked a few small fish and caught a sauger in and little over and hour of fishing in 9 feet.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
seen that crack yesterday it was open about 6" saturday morning ripped right over it with the sled

·
Registered
237 Posts
Donovan said:
We were heading out towards the first big ridge but stopped dead at the first shack. There is a semi new crack about a foot and a half wide just past that shack that is really hard to see. Only 11 inches on either side and only 3 inches in the crack. easy to drop a tire in there. We turned back at that point and stayed closer in.

sleds and quads should be fine at this point but would give it another week before pounding around the lake in trucks. If you take a truck drill as you go testing the thickness as you go.

Marked piles of bait/ perch or whatever, marked a few small fish and caught a sauger in and little over and hour of fishing in 9 feet.
I trust your scope on things Donovan.... good report.

·
Registered
679 Posts
thanks for the report donovan,think i will wait another week to be on the safe side ,with the cold weather coming next week it should make alot safer ice .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great info guys, sounds like it may still be a little risky even this weekend. Have Christmas functions this week anyway but definitely heading out the weekend after.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
^^^smart thinking last thing I wanna see Sunday is a tailgate sticking out of the water but I have a bad feeling it might happen

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, one thing I do early is stay away from the ridges and any ice that looks sketchy. Not everyone knows what to look for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts