Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for all you Crestliner owners. I need a new travel cover and already have contacted Dufort for a quote. Bookings for boat measurements are for late next July BTW.
Have you got one made to fit exactly how the factory covers attach with the J channel along the gunnels? Does it fit good and are you happy with it. I was going to get the better quality Sunbrella fabric for their 10 year warranty.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Wow! Booking in late July 2022. That's the definition of insanity. With all that business I'm surprised that they haven't expanded their operations. Anyways, good for them.

Catman, sorry for the side-track. From what I've heard about Dufort is that they're top notch and can customize it to fit you needs, but I don't have any personal experience with them. I was hoping to, but honestly the 11-months backlog is a big put off for me.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Booking in late July 2022. That's the definition of insanity. With all that business I'm surprised that they haven't expanded their operations. Anyways, good for them.

Catman, sorry for the side-track. From what I've heard about Dufort is that they're top notch and can customize it to fit you needs, but I don't have any personal experience with them. I was hoping to, but honestly the 11-months backlog is a big put off for me.
I have dealt with Dufort years ago and know the workmanship. I was hoping for someone with the J channel edge vs the regular over the gunnel type. The wait is just to get the boat in for measurements. Never mind the wait to get it made. Crestliner has discontinued the factory cover so I guess I’m going to have to wait. I have Ron’s Upholstery patching the old factory cover. Hope it lasts till next fall.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Registered
451 Posts

I spoke with Dufort in January 2021 and was told that there was NO way I would get an order filled this year. I then tried a Quebec company that makes Bimini tops ANP inc. and this is their opening page:
"Our order book for 2021 is currently full although we invite you to place your order online for 2022 because demand remains very high, and the order book continues to grow."
I don't think we have yet seen all the negative effects of this epidemic.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
I spoke with Dufort in January 2021 and was told that there was NO way I would get an order filled this year. I then tried a Quebec company that makes Bimini tops ANP inc. and this is their opening page:
"Our order book for 2021 is currently full although we invite you to place your order online for 2022 because demand remains very high, and the order book continues to grow."

I don't think we have yet seen all the negative effects of this epidemic.

To the contrary....this is the positive effect of the pandemic and lock downs limiting travel since last March.........so many more people have bought recreational products including boats, that the accessory business is BOOMING, including the manufacturing of boat covers, top sets and bimini tops...............what is the negative impact you speak of? I have a very close contact at DuFort....they have never been busier!

I can hardly wait for next year or the year after when so many of these knee-jerk purchases will be up for sale because it no longer scratches the itch it was bought to satisfy, people will no longer feel that $200 by-weekly for 20 years is something they want to continue with.....the used market will be saturated, prices will crash.........and guys like me will be waiting to snatch up the deal of all deals. Need a quad on tracks so badly. Just make sure you do a lien check.......LOL!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can speak on the negative impact. Needing parts for your ATV, boat motor or an appliance is frustrating when production couldn’t keep up with demand due to health order restrictions. My buddy up north is waiting for a part for his Honda ATV and was told it could be 6 months. It’s frustrating when you NEED something and you have to wait and wait!

Reactions: PrarieSurfer

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
I can speak on the negative impact. Needing parts for your ATV, boat motor or an appliance is frustrating when production couldn’t keep up with demand due to health order restrictions. My buddy up north is waiting for a part for his Honda ATV and was told it could be 6 months. It’s frustrating when you NEED something and you have to wait and wait!

This thread is about boat covers and the like........ and the long wait times............I was speaking directly and addressing that set of circumstances while explaining why those wait times are what they are.........nothing negative about that!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing negative about a booming business, it’s the wait for a product. Obviously your not waiting for one.

Reactions: PrarieSurfer

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Nothing negative about a booming business, it’s the wait for a product. Obviously your not waiting one.
Point taken, you're right! They did make me one this past September.. Damn good job too! Made one for my new tiller boat, had to make the pattern as they did not have one in their system......... great workmanship, quality and fantastic customer service!

·
Registered
725 Posts
You may want to call Troy at Keybreeze Marine Services. They’re located at 45A Panet Rd & the number is 204-237-5002. I’ve had them do 2 jobs for me. First was putting doors on the sides of my Clam flip over shelter then I went back and had them do work on my boat cover. I was very satisfied with the work both times.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Last summer when I was trying to decide what to do about a new cover for my boat (2013 1650 Fish Hawk) I did a bit of searching on facebook. I talked to a guy who had a j-hook cover done by Dufort and he was really happy with it. I believe I also found reference to Winkler Canvas doing j-hook covers as well. In the end I got mine done at Denham in Saskatoon. Price was a tad higher, but Dufort was a much longer wait and logistically I didn't really want to gamble on taking the boat out of province with covid going on (I'm from SK). Very happy with the cover Denham made for me. I initially contacted them late August, took the boat in the first week of October and had it back 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last summer when I was trying to decide what to do about a new cover for my boat (2013 1650 Fish Hawk) I did a bit of searching on facebook. I talked to a guy who had a j-hook cover done by Dufort and he was really happy with it. I believe I also found reference to Winkler Canvas doing j-hook covers as well. In the end I got mine done at Denham in Saskatoon. Price was a tad higher, but Dufort was a much longer wait and logistically I didn't really want to gamble on taking the boat out of province with covid going on (I'm from SK). Very happy with the cover Denham made for me. I initially contacted them late August, took the boat in the first week of October and had it back 2 weeks later.
Thanks for the info. I forgot about Winkler Canvas. They actually show a Crestliner with a cover on their website. I’ll give them a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I contacted Winkler Canvas and they’re booking for October. They did say some Sunbrella colours are back ordered until December though. They’re a bit more money than Dufort but the cheap Scotsman in me asked for a break if they utilize my poles and setup instead of them providing new ones. They said there may be an issue with the exact J clips but I’m going to take a drive there next week with my old cover when I get it back.
I’ll let you know my findings

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
You may want to call Troy at Keybreeze Marine Services. They’re located at 45A Panet Rd & the number is 204-237-5002. I’ve had them do 2 jobs for me. First was putting doors on the sides of my Clam flip over shelter then I went back and had them do work on my boat cover. I was very satisfied with the work both times.
I had them patch my original Tracker rachet cover and they did a shit job. Only sewed half way across. Was driving home from lake and I look and now material has ripped but not at the sewed seam. Now its garbage. All they needed to do is sew another foot. Piss poor job he wont get anymore of my business.

Reactions: 660catman

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update on this thread. I was in contact with Winkler Canvas and got a J clip sample from them. It works for a Crestliner boat that has the channel in the gunnels. They are booking for November now but I was very lucky when I was booking for an appointment. They had a cancellation so now I can get my boat in tomorrow. Timing is everything! I’ll post pictures when I get it back late next week. They use the same Sunbrella brand of material if you want.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

1 - 17 of 17 Posts