Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m finally getting into catfish, trying to catch one has been harder than I expected though. I’m using a Carolina rig with octopus hook, bait is chicken liver or beef liver. I’ve tried around Netley creek area yesterday, got eaten alive by mosquitoes lol. Anyone have any tips or suggestions tackle wise? Also maybe some areas where there is a better chance. Not looking for your spots, just a general area. I’m confined to the shore but can drive anywhere basically. Thanks y all.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Shore next to Cats on the Red is a great community spot. You can have a bon fire and enjoy the camping experience while fishing. Three of the locks were open the last time I passed by so I'm expecting heavy current. So you will need more weight (maybe up to 10 oz) to hold bottom. Shrimp, cut goldeye and cut suckers have all worked for me. It's preferable to take a couple bait selections and see what they're interested in. Later in the summer, frogs are the best option.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I know lots of people have luck with shrimp and liver but not myself. I always catch them with nightcrawlers. The odd time on shrimp. The second best option IMO is a cut bait like goldeye, cisco, perch, sucker. So keep any of those for bait if you catch them. Leopard frogs are also a good choice during the summer.

Your rig sounds fine, just be conscious of current level and your sinker choice.
Although I have bigger #6 circle hooks to use, I usually reserve those for big pieces of cut bait. Otherwise I do just fine with #3 circle hooks, especially when using nightcrawlers. I like the 3X thick demon circle hook that Mustad makes

Depending on current level, the spot I'm fishing, and the debris and snag probability, I will also use a modified pickerel rig with the aforementioned circle hooks tied to my own snells or leader line using 15/17/20lb mono.
My other go to rig is the standard Carolina or slip drift rig with a single circle or treble hook, depending on bait.

Be sure you have an appropriate rod and reel too. A 7-9ft surf or catfish rod and a minimum size 5000 spinning reel or a round casting winch reel. Use a minimum 20lb mono mainline. Don't get stuck hooking up on a MA catfish with a size 30 reel and glorified walleye rod.

I'm no catfishing expert though. These are just things that I've discovered work best for me and result in me catching fish.

I caught a bunch over the course of a couple hours early this morning very close to the city. All of various sizes, and a few Master Anglers. All with nightcrawlers and a modified pickerel rig.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can hook up on a MA cat almost anywhere on the Red River including in the city.

The big ones tend to like fast flow areas and holes so often it's good to try the outward edge of a river bend.

I normally hook up on shrimp with a heavy in line weight and large circle hook.

The trick I find is to be really patient and let out a good amount of line. Also don't react right away to a hit. Catfish will often suck the bait in and immediately spit it out. The trick is often to let them go with it and hit them on the second attempt at the bait. They often hook themselves honestly if you're patient.

Big bait=big fish often as well. I have had great luck on raw uncooked WHOLE frozen shrimp.

This was my last cat the other week: 20200719_165129_1596248184053.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts