Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Learn knots

Kinda stupid question what kinda knots are on the need to know really tired of asking people for help when I'm out there and want to learn them for opening day I'm using 40 pound braid and might possibly learn to make my own rigs
YouTube. Can teach ya some nice easy knots, and how to snell hooks with visual aid if ya need some.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
IMO the Palomar knot is the one and only knot to tie when targeting the the Sumo Cats or Sturgeon. It's a very simple easily tied knot that retains close to 100% of the line strength using either Mono or Braid. It hasn't failed me yet like a couple of other knots i experimented with.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've tied all my rigs this year with an easy snell on the hook and a Palomar to attach the swivel to leader.

Easy snell is simple and supposed to work with your circle hook in getting more and better hook ups.

If you can tie an overhand knot, you can snell a hook the easy way.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NzM4UxvMXLw[/ame]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Line, 2 - 3 oz egg sinker, snap swivel, then my own hook set up with metal leader wire.
I loop a swivel on one end crimped with a metal sleeve then i use 2 bait holder hooks on the other end. One hook slides freely, the other is looped at the bottom and crimped with a metal sleeve. the rig ends up being about 1.5 ft long. I use large pieces of tullibee usually so i put both hooks into the hunk.

My brother in law showed me how to make them so ive kept it up over the years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Line, plastic bead, 2 to 3 oz. egg sinker, good swivel, 18" to24" of line and a circle hook. The bead helps prevent the mono from rubbing on the hole edge on the weight. All knots are tied in the polomar style. I find this knot to be virtually slip proof.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After losing 3 cats in a row due to the line on my store bought cat rigs either snapping or the knots slipping, I've decided to start making my own. I'm wondering where I can buy bulk circle hooks for cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
After losing 3 cats in a row due to the line on my store bought cat rigs either snapping or the knots slipping, I've decided to start making my own. I'm wondering where I can buy bulk circle hooks for cheap.
Bad move buying cheap hooks... you'll regret. Bottomdwellers.com is a good place to buy bulk hooks

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Don't cheap out on hooks! Ever! You'll never become a better angler if you don't pay close attention to your hooks. This is MUCH more important than most anglers realize.

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
For cats use 30-40-50 # mono. Don't use braid. It's to hard on the fish if they happens to start rolling. Braid cuts a cat up pretty bad! There's no reason for floro line with cats. It's pretty dark down there.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Gamakatsu are my preferred choice. Unfortunately, the exchange rate on the USD is just brutal right now and so it practically costs the same after shipping/handling/exchange rate if you buy at http://bottomdwellerstackle.com/gamakatsu.htm or buy them locally (about 0.75 cents vs. 0.85 cents per 8/0 hook). I wish I could find someone that sells the 25 pack of big Gamakatsu hooks locally, but so far only found the smaller hooks in bulk packs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ordered the hooks from bass pro shops. the shipping was almost $15 cheaper. still came in around 1.00 per hook shipping included. now just gotta buy my line and i'll be set.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gamakatsu are my preferred choice. Unfortunately, the exchange rate on the USD is just brutal right now and so it practically costs the same after shipping/handling/exchange rate if you buy at http://bottomdwellerstackle.com/gamakatsu.htm or buy them locally (about 0.75 cents vs. 0.85 cents per 8/0 hook). I wish I could find someone that sells the 25 pack of big Gamakatsu hooks locally, but so far only found the smaller hooks in bulk packs.
At cabellas they are 4.50 for a 6 pack. I bought them there last week for that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
there are plenty of youtube videos on this

Start with the uni knot. It works in many situations.

The cinch is a classic. Then blood knot, then palomar, then surgeon, then snell then ...

The trick is to use a heavy line when you practice, it is easier. And yes you should practice until you can tie these with your eyes closed. You'll need to in pre-dawn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really lIke the Santee rig. You can make as strong as you like with the right leader . Hook and TSwivel. You snag less then Carolina rig. And it keeps your bait from sittings directly on the bottom . Possibly between a rock where a fish can't see or reach. The Santee rig is great because it keeps the bait in the strike zone. And if you do snag . The line I use for the sinker is always 10 or 15 lbs lighter then my main line so I'll only lose a sinker not the bait an hook an possible fish

21 - 39 of 39 Posts