Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinda stupid question what kinda knots are on the need to know really tired of asking people for help when I'm out there and want to learn them for opening day I'm using 40 pound braid and might possibly learn to make my own rigs

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Kinda stupid question what kinda knots are on the need to know really tired of asking people for help when I'm out there and want to learn them for opening day I'm using 40 pound braid and might possibly learn to make my own rigs
Palamor knot is my choice across the board. Simple and strong!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I used to buy the pre made rigs but the wire leader was so strong that when I got snagged my line would break and I would lose everything. I make my own now with 20-30lb cat line. At least now if I get snagged more often than not the leader line snaps and all I lose is the hook instead of everything.

When I make my rigs I do a snell knot on the circle hook and a palamor knot on the swivel. Use a egg or no roll sinker and a bead to protect the knot.

Starting to get the itch for cat season now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Main line, been using 65 lb braid, no roll sinker 2-5 Oz depending on current, bead to prevent the knot being smashed by the weight on hook set. Tie my own also, with a swivel and usually 24-36in leader of 40-50 lb mono and a 7/0 circle hook

And Paloma knot anytime I can use it

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I used to buy the pre made rigs but the wire leader was so strong that when I got snagged my line would break and I would lose everything. I make my own now with 20-30lb cat line. At least now if I get snagged more often than not the leader line snaps and all I lose is the hook instead of everything.

When I make my rigs I do a snell knot on the circle hook and a palamor knot on the swivel. Use a egg or no roll sinker and a bead to protect the knot.

Starting to get the itch for cat season now.
Using your weakest line at the weight can save a lot of re-rigging also. Depends how you rig, and the length of your weight line.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Great video, I'm planning this year to probably copy you and use a t-turn swivel. Using a steel leader with a palomar knot works, but I find it breaks after 5-7 uses (the steel leader's swivel gets worn down unless you buy the expensive ones)

Don't wait till it breaks. 5-7 "uses" is way to long to wait to retie in this situation. 2 should be max. Even With arthritic fingers it takes at most 2 minutes to retie. With practice it takes 20 seconds and less. That small amount of time invested in retieing can and will be the difference to landing that big one or loosing it to a weakened knot.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts