Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a question for all the kitty guys out there. I mostly use a three way set up. line to weight length is 6-10" and line to hook length is 16-24". What do others use for line lengths? Am I wasting my time with the 3way if I don't use a float to keep shrimp off the bottom? My thought there is that the current(especially now) will keep the shrimp up. I am always looking to learn and improve my chances and would love to hear some others ideas.

G

·
A 3 way is a good way to go specially if you are using a light line or elastic on your weight. This is known as a sacrifice rig you can sacrifice your weight on a snag and save the catch. I use an elastic for this method as I find that with an elastic I can almost always use it to sling shot my weights out of snags.

Down side of this set up is the sensitivity. When you are using a slid weight set up you get alot more sensitivity to the pole on bites etc. I don't find it that important with cats. Yes they have days where they can be touchy feely but it is still recognizable on the sacrifice.

No snell lengths. The snell to your weight I don't think really matters. I run 18" - 24" pretty regularly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried elastics (the hair kind) but found them a bit weak and I would like to at least try and retreive the weight if snagged. I guess I will try a bit stronger elastic next time. I tend not to set my rod down a lot so I'm not sure of how much sensitivity loss I have. Although after a long period of time my arms do get tired so I'm sure I lose some feel. :oops: :) I think I will try a slip rig next time. Thanks for the input.

G

·
postgame said:
I tend not to set my rod down a lot so I'm not sure of how much sensitivity loss I have.
I am going to guess by this statement you are a bell guy. This is an ok solution but I find it can lie to you quiet often. I use glow sticks Get a pack of bracelet size glow sticks from the dollar store pkg of 25 for a buck. Then I use masking tape and tape it down the tip of my pole. Masking tape works good cause it comes off real easy.

I use elastics like regular rubber bands pick them up at the dollar store or staples. I find the bigger the better. I use to use a light 8lb or 6lb line I found that I was loosing weights left and right. I went to elastics and discovered I could bounce my weight out. But to each their own.

And after all that. I make my own pole holders 3' or 3/4" grounding rod and 2 1/2 inch PVC pipe cut about a foot long.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I have never used a bell. :) I agree that it would lie to you to much which is why I hold the rod pretty much all the time. I might give the glow sticks a try though as it would save my arms. Definitely going to try some office type elastics though.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Some excellant advice offered up from the shorefishing pros :!: :!: I usually fish from the boat for the Cats but do occasionally shorefish for them either here in town or at the 'Port.My advice would be to go with the no roll sinkers using just enough wieght to hold on bottom and avoid having your presentation roll a fair distance along the bottom before slightly hanging up.This will prevent a ton of hangups/snags that usually have to be broken off and then retied losing valuable time each time it happens.As a hardcore baitcast guy i use a reel with a clicker on it .This way you can leave it propped up or in a holder and not have to worry about a Sumo Kitty taking the entire set up to the bottom of the river:never to be seen again :eek: :eek:

G

·
The clickity click clack of my Abu on a moon light river. Comes close to being in the top 5 best moments in life.

G

·
That would be awesome. I went out for coffee with Donovan today. Not sure he is going to do any fishing but he is going to try to make an appearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts