Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just recently picked up a new rod that I'm using for Catfish next year. Every winter I like to build 1 new rig to expand my fishing to new species/techniques. I need a reel to go with this rod. The plan is to throw big weights for river currents, and catch some big channel cats. The rod is 7'4", and can chuck lures from 2-6oz. So far I've looked at the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur stuff, mainly the C3, and C4 reels. What else should I look at? Must be left hand retrieve. Not opposed to a low-profile bait cast, but I have yet to find one that suits better that the abu round stuff.

Note: This is also gonna get used for throwing big musky lures at some point, but cats are the main deal for this setup.

·
Administrator
795 Posts
I use a quantum optix 60 setup with 80lb braided and really like it. Great reel for a great price.

Ended up buying by girlfriend the same set up

·
Administrator
1,419 Posts
Shimano has Cardiffs, Calcuttas and Curados of the appropriate size. I have heard people use all of these for cats. However the Curado 300 EJ doesn't have a left handed version so you would have to use a Curado 301 E.

As for Abu Garcia I heard that something like an ambassadeur 6501 would be good enough.

Overall as long as it has a reliable drag and high line capacity you should be set.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I've been using a cardiff for cats and I have no complaints other then the fact you have to thumb the shit out of it on casts with weight

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you like bait cast check out the daiwa millionaire. Grabbed one this season at cabelas for 60$ and it's killer for throwing cat rigs with a 3oz slip sinker. Similar to the abu reels you are looking at.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have the Abu c4 and I don't like it for cats. The gear ratio doesn't make it easy to drag those big girls against current. Find something a with a lower ratio IMO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I second the Abu Garcia 6501. I use this set up for my cat rod. The advantage of this is it has a bait clicker on it too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The double-duty musky requirement just about eliminates all of the options suggested (even though we used 6500-C3's for years). The Abu Garcia Revo Toro S61 would make a fine, if somewhat expensive, dual purpose reel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm using an Abu C4 6601 and I'm enjoying it. So far so good. Saturday I caught a 35" catfish with it and it was easy/fun. I recommend it for sure. I paid 159,00 at Cabelas a few weeks ago - it was on sale.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm using an Abu C4 6601 and I'm enjoying it. So far so good. Saturday I caught a 35" catfish with it and it was easy/fun. I recommend it for sure. I paid 159,00 at Cabelas a few weeks ago - it was on sale.

I’ve got the same reel and love it, but I upgraded to the power handle that abu makes. Bought on amazon or eBay I think. Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I've got an Abu ambassadeur 6601 Record reel, which is the ultimate cat fishing/sturgeon reel.
I don't use it though, it's too nice lol!

I've got other ambassadeurs and millionaires for rough, bang around and muddy use river bank fishing.

I actually prefer my size 55 Cabela's inshore salt striker spinning reel for fishing on the Red.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts