Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pickup an underwater camera for this season coming up. Any recommendations on what to be on the hunt for and which to stay away from? TIA

·
Registered
880 Posts
Aqua Vue comes to mind but only because my buddy has one. It’s nice to see whether the fish have any interest in your presentation. Other than that I know nothing about them.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat XT 570. Eskimo F1 Rocket, Eskimo 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 798Ci HD SI

Reactions: PrarieSurfer

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
All depends on where you fish. The cleaner and clearer the water, the more you're going to get out of your underwater camera. I've seen perch suck in the bait and spit it out without me feeling a thing. It can be really helpful in the right situations.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Looking to pickup an underwater camera for this season coming up. Any recommendations on what to be on the hunt for and which to stay away from? TIA
I'm in the same place. Wife really likes the youtube icefishing vids, unfortunately there really aren't many locally shot videos except one from Lake of the Praries, at least what I've been able to find. There are lots of camera systems that show pretty impressive quality, which I don't beleive nor do I think they will survive MB cold conditions. I've come down to the three, MarCum, Vexilar and AquaVu that I beleive, somewhat. Would be nice to hear from members who have cams, brand and model and the expected battery life.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Do a search - I have posted dozens and dozens of videos of ice fishing with a camera - providing they didn't get deleted with changeover.
Have been using cameras for over 15 years, they work great in the right conditions. Aqua vu or Marcum seem to be the better ones. Stay away from the aqua vu micro (imho) and get a full sized unit.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Do a search - I have posted dozens and dozens of videos of ice fishing with a camera - providing they didn't get deleted with changeover.
Have been using cameras for over 15 years, they work great in the right conditions. Aqua vu or Marcum seem to be the better ones. Stay away from the aqua vu micro (imho) and get a full sized unit.
Thanks Chrism for the reply and the vid. clips. I have done searches and most of the stuff is dated back several years and not relative to the presently available technology. I am interested in seeing vids with conditions like the South Basin, how under the ice presents.
Consideration given to Manitoba's cold weather, battery life and screen performance, on screen, temp. and camera direction, Li battery, recording/playback capability, travellinging in the cold sled and setup ease are all factors. Price is not a deal breaker, wife wants to watch the fish bite and who am I to deny that want? lol.
The 7" MarCum Quest checks most of the boxes, AquaVu is a miss for a number of reasons and Vexilar doesn't carry many choices.
Any comment, what would be your choice? Any videos of under ice Lake Winnipeg? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
The vids i took were from 3 cams - AV715, AVhd10, or a d/c cabelas camera. The hd camera stepped up to a flat screen tv.
Technology has not changed in regards to how they ran/run then to now. They chew batteries, so i would bring a deep cycle back then, now i have one of Cliffs batt boxes with 20ah lithium - that will easily last a full 8-10 hr day.
A large 27 deep cycle will do 4-5 days easy.
The 7-12ah batts that come with will get you 4-8 hrs depending on how you set brightness.
ALL cameras are hard to see in direct sunlight. You need to use in a tent for best results.
As for recording, least expensive is the wifi cameras to your phone/tablet, not many around, recording is usually 240x240 pixels, so shitty. Go HDMI!!!!
I did try briefly a Vex Fishphone bluetooth camera, it was ok, but once i got the HD camera, there was no going back. HD camera clarity is clearer, period. Especially for recording.
To record, hdmi, get a video recorder (amazon) that hooks to the hdmi outlet on camera, or old tech, the RCA ‘out’ jack (yellow).
higher end cameras come with direction, temp and some, depth. I never used mine, i could figure out easily where my rig was pointed.

if i were to suggest one cam, hands down it would be a AV or Marcum HD cam, with video capture add on, and a panner. Buy once cry once.

now, as for LW use, i cant comment. Altho i have fished there for 25+ years, i have avoided the last few years - have not seen what the ZM have done to water clarity. Water clarity is your limiting factor. They do not ‘see’ thru dirty or stained water. But if you can see 3+ feet, you are in bizzness!
Cameras also give you information that all other modes/electronics can not - you see what kind of fish, how big, and how they react to lures. It is direct info, not a guess. It will change how you fish for sure.

the drawback is setup time. But if you want others to get into the sport, cameras work, period.
if you want a real fun experience, go to Cedar in late March /early april and fish bots or walleye - its a real experience seeing that on camera. Many on here have witnessed that, perhaps they could comment.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Chrism for the reply and the vid. clips. I have done searches and most of the stuff is dated back several years and not relative to the presently available technology. I am interested in seeing vids with conditions like the South Basin, how under the ice presents.
Consideration given to Manitoba's cold weather, battery life and screen performance, on screen, temp. and camera direction, Li battery, recording/playback capability, travellinging in the cold sled and setup ease are all factors. Price is not a deal breaker, wife wants to watch the fish bite and who am I to deny that want? lol.
The 7" MarCum Quest checks most of the boxes, AquaVu is a miss for a number of reasons and Vexilar doesn't carry many choices.
Any comment, what would be your choice? Any videos of under ice Lake Winnipeg? Thanks
You really won't get any use from a camera on LW. The reason you can't find any videos of it is because you can't see anything with a camera in the dirty water.

Unfortunately you would be wasting your money if you only fish LW.

In any case, we really only use the camera for hanging big baits for pike in shallow water because it's easy to keep everything in frame.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use an Aqua Vu HD 7. I love it! In clear lakes it is absolutely awesome to watch. I never realized how aggressive walleyes can be, sometimes just like piranhas. Durability seems Ok. I’ve only had it for one season though. Mine has taken a small tumble off the snowmobile and kept working just fine. If you fish more than 4-5 hours you will want to upgrade the battery to a lithium or rig up something to supplement the factory battery.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I dropped in at Cabelas to pick-up an online order and then spoke to a couple of sales guys in the fishing dept. One fellow said he had no experience with cameras while the other guy said I would be disappointed using any camera in the South Basin, too murky. Having said all that, I then spoke to fellow in the lure section who uses a small AV at Balsam and he feels that the camera is is good for about 3-4 feet. He felt even limited distance was an advantage and loads of fun. So probably a good camera with IR and LEDs would help.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Used a Aqua-Vu Micro 5 Plus for the past couple seasons for trout and it's worked great. Multiple days off one charge.

·
Registered
547 Posts
How long does the battery last ice fishing?
From full, it easily lasts a day on the ice. The only issue with cameras is they're only really good during daylight. Once it gets dark, that's the end of the line. It's up to the sonar at that point.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Speaking for the Aqua Vu HD7, the battery does not last a full day of fishing. The longest I had was about 6 hours. I was caught off guard by this and want others to be aware. A battery upgrade is needed if you do day trips. I’ve rigged up extra leads off the factory battery and hook another battery in sequence. Lasts as long as I care to fish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts