Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious is there a way to check a boat/motor/trailer serial number to find out if it's stolen? Last time I checked I was told no and thats mostly for cars. Because there is alot of boats on sale on kijiji, if you can offer any tips on how to purchase a boat safely from kijiji please feel free.
The same type boat if you buy through a dealership can be almost double with taxes when compared to kijiji prices but with a dealership atleast you don't have to worry about buying somthing stolen or a boat that has fines in its name.

G

·
Not sure about stolen. But regardless of price you should have the owner meet you with it at a body of water and take it for a spin. If they want to sell it they should be willing to do this. Buddy of mine last year bought a boat off Kijiji guy swore it ran nothing wrong etc. hooked up the inlet with a hose fired it up all looked good. His first day out he could not get it to start to save his life. Trim didn't work steering was real sloppy. Motor ran like a champ out of water but once in water just would not turn over. Ended up investing a few more thousand in it just to get it usable.

On the stolen side you could ask the buyer for serial numbers and call the police and have them look into. Not sure how willing they would be to help but could be worth a try. Not sure how many boats actually get stolen though. I am sure it happens just does not seem to be that common.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know with cars theres a couple of checks you can do, check for leans, reports on how many accidents its been in, or leans and loans. Never really hear much checking that stuff with boats. But I know it's good to put no leans or loans or encumbrances meaning fines that have been given to the registered boat and never paid and apparently once you register the boat in your name those fines can carry over to yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts