Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light in bringing a used boat over the border? Me and my father are looking at purchasing a 16-17ft fishing boat but have never done so in the US.

Would imagine all that is required is seperate bill of sale for the trailer to pay tax before crossing? Any information appreciated!

Thank you

·
Registered
345 Posts
Contact ....Canada Border Service Agency (web site ). The guys there are pretty good at answering questions like that. They've helped me a few times.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Boat purchase is not too complicated. Trailer is a bit trickier. If it is less than than 15 years then you have to get it inspected after crossing the border. Make sure u have bill of sale for boat and trailer and title. Also get a copy printout of the ad because they will try to look it up to make sure your not lying about the purchase price to save on taxes.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Boat purchase is not too complicated. Trailer is a bit trickier. If it is less than than 15 years then you have to get it inspected after crossing the border. Make sure u have bill of sale for boat and trailer and title. Also get a copy printout of the ad because they will try to look it up to make sure your not lying about the purchase price to save on taxes.

Copy of the Ad is very important...I found out.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Exchange, PST and GST on full value of the package at the border if coming through Manitoba. If going through Ontario GST Only. Bill of sale needs to be faxed to the border at least 48 hours before. If purchasing from a dealer in the Minnesota, there is no refund on state taxes. 215.00 RIV inspection fee on your trailer. I was all set to buy a boat for 13,000.00 ut of the US when the dollar was 90 cents and the total price back up to Canada was in the neighborhood of 16,700.0.By comparison, if you can find a boat in Canada. Pst on the trailer value only. No tax on the boat and motor. I was lucky and found a boat up here that had more options and had a lower price tag than what I could find in the US.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
You may seriously want to consider temporary insurance for the ride back to canada, through an autopac agent. It's a little steep for a few hour drive but if in the rare chance you get in an accident down there and hurt or kill someone not only will you obviously eat the cost of the damage but get sued for the injuries you caused. It's a one in a million chance but an expensive gamble if something happens and you lose.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You may seriously want to consider temporary insurance for the ride back to canada, through an autopac agent. It's a little steep for a few hour drive but if in the rare chance you get in an accident down there and hurt or kill someone not only will you obviously eat the cost of the damage but get sued for the injuries you caused. It's a one in a million chance but an expensive gamble if something happens and you lose.
Not really - if you're driving your manitoba plated vehicle, your third party liability would cover any damage you cause - just make sure you have a high amount, like 2 or 5 million.

However, if the trailer isn't yours, you'd have to get Temp Insurance on it

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Insurance

Not really - if you're driving your manitoba plated vehicle, your third party liability would cover any damage you cause - just make sure you have a high amount, like 2 or 5 million.

However, if the trailer isn't yours, you'd have to get Temp Insurance on it
That's what I was referring to. If by some fluke chance the trailer cause some damage or injury you'd be screwed. Highly unlikely but getting sued in the states likely isn't too appealing either

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've purchased 2 boats from the states and the following is what I know from my experience. I brought down with me a printed ad of what I wanted to buy and also other ads just incase my first choice didn't work out. I also made sure, before heading down there, that I asked for the serial numbers for boat, motor and trailer and pictures showing that the serial number on the trailer was clearly visible. Customs is real finicky about that on the trailer, so make sure you check and double check that. After making the purchase, get a clearly written bill of sale, with separate prices for the boat, motor and trailer and all serial numbers. Once you get to the border to cross back, the process of filling out the paperwork, mainly for the trailer, should take about 10-15mins. I never informed customs beforehand of my boat purchases as I'm sure there is no need to do that for boats. If you are bringing over $10000US into the states, make sure you declare that at the US border.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Exchange, PST and GST on full value of the package at the border if coming through Manitoba. If going through Ontario GST Only. Bill of sale needs to be faxed to the border at least 48 hours before. If purchasing from a dealer in the Minnesota, there is no refund on state taxes. 215.00 RIV inspection fee on your trailer. I was all set to buy a boat for 13,000.00 ut of the US when the dollar was 90 cents and the total price back up to Canada was in the neighborhood of 16,700.0.By comparison, if you can find a boat in Canada. Pst on the trailer value only. No tax on the boat and motor. I was lucky and found a boat up here that had more options and had a lower price tag than what I could find in the US.
There's no need for faxing the border 48 hours before. I think you're referring to the 72 hours notice U.S. Customs requires for passenger vehicles being exported. Boats are exempt from this requirement. PST and GST apply on boats and motors that are purchased here in Canada unless they're delivered to a reservation.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I've purchased 2 boats from the states and the following is what I know from my experience. I brought down with me a printed ad of what I wanted to buy and also other ads just incase my first choice didn't work out. I also made sure, before heading down there, that I asked for the serial numbers for boat, motor and trailer and pictures showing that the serial number on the trailer was clearly visible. Customs is real finicky about that on the trailer, so make sure you check and double check that. After making the purchase, get a clearly written bill of sale, with separate prices for the boat, motor and trailer and all serial numbers. Once you get to the border to cross back, the process of filling out the paperwork, mainly for the trailer, should take about 10-15mins. I never informed customs beforehand of my boat purchases as I'm sure there is no need to do that for boats. If you are bringing over $10000US into the states, make sure you declare that at the US border.
Bang on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts