Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's all involved in buying a boat state side?? what paperwork is required at the border? taxes at the border? I'd be buying the boat used privately so how does one pay a guy in the states?? do they take a certified cheque from a Canadian bank? I'd like to hear from first hand experience.....not "I heard from a friend" type thing

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Very simple process. Pay cash if under 10K or certified cheque. You will have to pay GST/PST and inspection (I think $206, this fee is done online) Make the seller seperate the bill into boat/motor/trailer. You will need temp insurance on the trailer. My last four boats have all been from the US, with the savings I was basically paid to run them. Well worth it but unfortunately the savings ratio has diminished over the last couple of years. Remember when calculating include your gas/hotel/etc. as it is part of the expense. Also if your buying a boat of significant value exchange your money with a place called Calforex. You will save an additional 1.5-2.0% compared to exchanging at your local bank. Go here for the details I didn't cover
http://www.riv.ca/

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well this all sounds fairly simple.....now the search begins. I think I've narrowed my search down to 2 different boats, 1800 Lund Pro V tiller or Alumacraft Tournament Pro 185 in a tiller also...either boat would have to be pushed with a minimum 90 4 stroke

·
Registered
552 Posts
Very Simple, I being a first time over the border purchaser. You'll need the Vin on the trailer(make sure it matches). You'll need a copy of the bill of sale, Certificate of title of trailer. Canada customs doesn't care about the boat, just the trailer. When you get to customes you have to give the all your documents of purchase. they'll give you a form 1 to fill out, when done they'll read it over, you'll play GST/PST on the price of the purchase.

With form 1 complete,
Go online or call(RIV) Register of imported vehilcles, register the trailer vin #. Make the payment for the federal inspection, which is $204.75.
They'll get you to get the trailer inspected by Canadian tire.... all said and done, she'll all good to go!

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I've got an Alumacraft TP 185 single consol. Love it! Just a couple inches short of 19 ft and very wide. Tons of room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts