Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never been to Brereton just wanting to know if the walters are biting and how thick the ice is. Have a hand auger so just need to know if i gotta buy an extension? Planning on going southside near the collection of islands. Tips on tackle are welcome! Relatively new to ice fishing.

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Never been to Brereton just wanting to know if the walters are biting and how thick the ice is. Have a hand auger so just need to know if i gotta buy an extension? Planning on going southside near the collection of islands. Tips on tackle are welcome! Relatively new to ice fishing.

Welcome to the forum......

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
At this point in the season an extension becomes part of the necessities you pack on an excursion onto the ice anywhere you go. Didn't know they sold extensions for hand augers.....you're a better man than most of us, many wouldn't tackle thick ice by hand!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They actually do. Except nobody has them and they are sold out everywhere lmao. I made a quick mod and used an ion x extension. Just made a post about it! Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi,
depending on your model you can also make an extension very quickly using a piece of threaded steel pipe. I think I got my 18" piece from Rona for $5. She ain't pretty but works great.

Regarding tackle, my advice is start slow and build up. It seems to me that most lure options are designed to hook anglers, not fish. A simple weighted jig head with a minnow head is very effective. The rattle raps, vertical jigs, spoons are also good but if they are not biting it is hard to trick them into it. When they are feeding, almost anything will work. The key is to be on the ice for the hour or so that they are feeding.

One last point; don't underestimate the value of chumming a hole, especially for walleye and trout. There is plenty of underwater footage of fish swimming past suspended lures to feed off minnows etc that have fallen off a jig.

Good luck and stay warm.
D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Thats some great advice! Ive never considere chimming a hole until now. Im gonna try it out for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts