Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts people. I am new to the forum and stepping back into the fishing scene. Have a new rig on order and have decided this is my retirement boat. I want this one to last me like my last Lund that I sold in 2017.

So input on what is thought to be the BEST in boat trailering protection? Actual 1st hand results in stone protection. Majority of the lakes in westman that I will be hitting are gravel access.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Calvin

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have 3 way protection plan I use. I have rock tamer attached to my hitch. I had dufort make a bow bra and covers for my 250 & 15 hp evinrude engines. I have rock gard protector which attaches to the boat trailer and is a V- shaped mesh protection system that deflects stones and rocks down and away from the boat. It’s made by S.J. Design Inc. They’re outta Powell River BC.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
After 35+ years of boat(s) ownership, I had enough of two things......carpet and paint! Shopped hard last year for a boat, between 17 and 18 feet long, between 80 and 90 inches wide and at least 60hp......... with no carpet (anywhere) and no exterior paint. Solved both my issues and bought my second G3, a Guide V177T, 17'7" of pure unpainted total vinyl BLISS! Spruced it up and subdued that mirror-like finish with a few decals! My only hope was that it came with a galvanized trailer, not to be had, so put 3M paint protection film on all the leading edges, so far so good. I also use a Rock Solid rock guard on the hitch, DuFort made me the cover. But if I was to do it all over again, Trailer Tux is the way I would go........but for someone who has been a boat owner for 35+ years, the only true method in paint protection is.....no paint at all !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you travel lots of gravel and want your boat to remain as nice as possible, get a Trailer Tux and don't bother looking at anything else. The belly coverage for the trailer would probably be a worth while purchase too.

Bow Buddy and RockGARD are better suited to highway use with the occasional short trip on gravel. I've had a RockGARD on my boat since new, as well as a Rock Solid flap on the truck. After a trip to Cormorant and a few trips to Duck Mountain in the first year of ownership I quickly stopped caring what the boat looked like.

Side note: I like the way you think, BIGGAMEFISHER.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts