Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trying some bobber fishing this weekend and wondering what colour jig to put under the bobber and what to put on it

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Am I allowed a shameless plug here??? Just kidding... Match the jig to the bobber for proper buoyancy, or add split shot if your using super light jigs... Done lots of smallie fishing with bobbers, even done it from docks like you... Best producing rig is a circle or octopus hook (if your on the ball on watching the float), enough weight to properly float the bobber and a nice big juicy leech!!! A whole or half crawler works well too... You'll pick up a few eyes while your doing this too!!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Am I allowed a shameless plug here??? Just kidding... Match the jig to the bobber for proper buoyancy, or add split shot if your using super light jigs... Done lots of smallie fishing with bobbers, even done it from docks like you... Best producing rig is a circle or octopus hook (if your on the ball on watching the float), enough weight to properly float the bobber and a nice big juicy leech!!! A whole or half crawler works well too... You'll pick up a few eyes while your doing this too!!!
^^^This^^^

Years ago I caught a lot of smallies off my friend's dock in Kenora using bobbers, leeches, and circle hooks. It's a simple presentation that works. Bobber fishing is a blast.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks patty that's what I was thinking was lecches and a jig or a pickerel rig I only have 2 inch diameter bobbers so idk if that's too big but I don't have time to hit a tackle store

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Your first step is take those 2 inch bobbers and give em to somebody you don't like. The next step (but only if you want to become a better fisherman) is get a hold of some good bobbers. Those bobbers will cost you a lot of fish. Especially if you're fish under 6' or less.

·
Registered
781 Posts
well tuning your floats...

hear is some good tips if you want to become a serious ( slip ) float fisherman..and it will take a little practice..

as mentioned above those fixed floats red and white or whatever color.give those to your kids..

i prefer a quality slip like a weighted thrill..has a little brass insert at the very top of the float..this will allow you to cast a good distance just on its own.

first on your line goes the bobber stop and there are a few kinds on the market..then goes the bead. after fishing for a while your knot will get wet and the bead will stop the knot from going threw the bobber..then goes the bobber and i like to use 1/64 or 1/16 in line weights instead of split shot.this way your weight never comes of during a battle with a fish.. and you dont have to crimp those spit shot on your line which some times if not careful you might just push to hard and make a week spot in your line.then from there to a line swivel..then your 1 ft tag to a octopus hook is my fav..and yes a LEECH.and this works great for all bass..

now your set up.. and before you bait up.through .your set up out.. and the float will tell you everything..if it is laying on its side you are on the bottom..real in slide your stop down and re cast..as soon as you find the depth that your float is standing up in.. bring your knot up to around 12 in,this will put your bait at one foot of the bottom ... and know you can bait up ..

tuning your float will only have to be done a couple times ..and you might have to switch your weight once or twice to find the right balance..the nice straight up and down to your float is right..and most floats have a split color to them .i use the split as the water level try to balance it so the water is on the split..once you have done this you wont have to change anything on your set up..unless you break off.

the advantage is with a in line.. you can real your set up in right to your in -line swivel so you are only dealing with a foot of line hanging from the end of your rod at all times.. casting out is very easy..so you can really cast far if needed..with a fixed float anything hanging over 3 ft ,can be very difficult to cast..

slip float fishing is a art..and the more you do it you will become better at it.and it is one of my fav..ways to fish..this system will always put fish in the boat.

even taking to another level ..i like to use big arse slip floats.like holding a 1 lb .bait for pike or muskie.this is very exciting ..everything is the same just 5 times bigger on the whole set-up..

good luck with your float fishing.

maniac

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
I would strongly recommend a circle hook as Patty mentioned. Smallies will often inhale a leech or worm into their gullet.

To me, bait has no place in Bass fishing....just a personal preference. Only time I use meat is for Walleyes, and that's rare.

I'd say ditch the float and meat and use a weightless Senko in the same spots you'd use a float.....you'll prob be surprised how well they fish, and it weeds out the runts usually....runts will be all over meat

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking a weight less senko I've read and watched a lot of videos on it and it looks like a good way to catch fish looks like I'm going to have to find time for a store run

·
Registered
101 Posts
bobbers for smallies

I was thinking a weight less senko I've read and watched a lot of videos on it and it looks like a good way to catch fish looks like I'm going to have to find time for a store run

The last part to this is look for trees in the water. some trees will have 4 to 5 bass on them. leeches are the best with small circle hook.

·
Registered
417 Posts
By "weightless" do you mean no need to use bottom bouncers or slip sinkers or that type of thing? The Senkos are weighted already, you don't need to add anything to them. They work really well. I have two types, both 6 inch, one is "swimming" the other is shaped just like a night crawler. They are cats ass for flipping. They fall nice and slow through the water column. The bass love them! These are the first baits I will try when switching to a finesse style presentation. I like to use a medium action long rod, 7 feet. Some guys prefer lite or ultra-lite action rods, but I prefer to pump my bass into the boat. 99 out of 100 hits are hammer time hits as well. I think the regular style Senkos are available in Winnipeg now. Had to get the swimming ones from the states. They come in a kit, 6 different colours and I think you get 6 or 8 each. Runs approx 30 bucks US

·
Registered
707 Posts
By "weightless" do you mean no need to use bottom bouncers or slip sinkers or that type of thing? The Senkos are weighted already, you don't need to add anything to them. They work really well. I have two types, both 6 inch, one is "swimming" the other is shaped just like a night crawler. They are cats ass for flipping. They fall nice and slow through the water column. The bass love them! These are the first baits I will try when switching to a finesse style presentation. I like to use a medium action long rod, 7 feet. Some guys prefer lite or ultra-lite action rods, but I prefer to pump my bass into the boat. 99 out of 100 hits are hammer time hits as well. I think the regular style Senkos are available in Winnipeg now. Had to get the swimming ones from the states. They come in a kit, 6 different colours and I think you get 6 or 8 each. Runs approx 30 bucks US
ordered some senkos from cabelas.ca last weekend along with some circle hooks, a few mepps, a st. Croix rod.........ya I got carried away.

No wonder the GF has to pull me out of the actual store in Wpg HA. Will be trying the senko way whenever it gets here. Odd thing was that after pricing everything out with the U.S. cabelas which I usually order from as I live next to the border ......I actually ended up saving money buying in Canada...our dollar is pretty darn weak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A_Manitoba_Angler, I live in Texas and a cheaper place for you to but plastics and other fishing gear is Academy Sports and Outdoors. Go to WWW.Academy.com. You might consider trying the Big Bite brand senko it is a little stiffer than the senko brand but a whole lot cheaper. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Fisheye's

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guy's might try using Zoom Flukes as well I know the Large mouth here in Texas love them and they come in a bunch of different colors. My preferred way to fish them is either weightless or with a split shot about 16" above the fluke. I rig it with a 2/0 offset bass hook by going in the fluke and coming out the back then see where the bend will come out so the tip and bard are hiding between the folds in the belly this will ensure solid hook ups and make it weedless.

Fisheye's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts