Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation for a local shop that does trailer repair? The weld on one of my roller brackets broke yesterday, so I need to replace my rollers - either with new ones or with bunks.

I’m really hoping I can get it done soon, but know this time of year could be busy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
1,453 Posts
Heard good things about Metro trailer in Niverville. I'll be getting some work done by them later.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for a local shop that does trailer repair? The weld on one of my roller brackets broke yesterday, so I need to replace my rollers - either with new ones or with bunks.

I’m really hoping I can get it done soon, but know this time of year could be busy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Looking at ur Avatar it looks that you have an aluminium fishing boat. Since you're looking to replace the rollers consider going to bunks, much easier on the bottom of the aluminium boat.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at ur Avatar it looks that you have an aluminium fishing boat. Since you're looking to replace the rollers consider going to bunks, much easier on the bottom of the aluminium boat.
Yeah, that’s my leaning too. I like the rollers for launching at shallower launches with my van - I don’t have to back it in so far - but they have been an endless pain for getting the boat on straight when there is current or wind. To be fair, though, my rollers are the worst: really wobbly and unstable. I’ve seen some with much more subtle movement that could also work.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone used polyethylene rather than carpet for their bunks with an aluminum boat? The extra slipperiness would help launch/reload the boat smoothly. I never unhook the boat before putting it in the water so there is no risk of it slipping off.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Has anyone used polyethylene rather than carpet for their bunks with an aluminum boat? The extra slipperiness would help launch/reload the boat smoothly. I never unhook the boat before putting it in the water so there is no risk of it slipping off.
I've seen the stuff advertised and if memory serves me, it was expensive, and it didn't wrap the bunk. (glued on). What type is your trailer and is boat and motor? I have a large trailer with 15" wheels and there is no issue with loading and unloading the boat. The bunks are 10' green treated 2x6 and the carpeting is at least 12 y/o.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boat is an older 16’ (6’ beam) Lund Rebel with a 40hp outboard, and trailer is a homemade job. Decently built except for the rollers - 14” rims, so sits reasonably low.
The plastic skids/slicks aren’t crazy expensive, but will be more than carpet. But I like the idea of a slicker surface and no water-logged carpet soaking the lumber.
I’m looking at something like this (https://www.amazon.ca/Trailer-Bunk-...rds=trailer+bunk+slides&qid=1633281329&sr=8-3) or this (Trailer Bunk Slides and Pads, Boat and Jet Ski Trailer Glides and Pads).
Anyone have suggestions for where to buy trailer bunk brackets locally? Install looks simple enough and the shops are busy, so maybe I’ll do it myself.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Boat is an older 16’ (6’ beam) Lund Rebel with a 40hp outboard, and trailer is a homemade job. Decently built except for the rollers - 14” rims, so sits reasonably low.
The plastic skids/slicks aren’t crazy expensive, but will be more than carpet. But I like the idea of a slicker surface and no water-logged carpet soaking the lumber.
I’m looking at something like this (https://www.amazon.ca/Trailer-Bunk-...rds=trailer+bunk+slides&qid=1633281329&sr=8-3) or this (Trailer Bunk Slides and Pads, Boat and Jet Ski Trailer Glides and Pads).
Anyone have suggestions for where to buy trailer bunk brackets locally? Install looks simple enough and the shops are busy, so maybe I’ll do it myself.
Canada Tire has some and most marine outfits will have, or steer you to some local supplier. I deal with AVO Marine and find them stocked for most stuff and helpful.

·
Registered
462 Posts
With an older 40HP you're better off installing bunks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. Why would you say that? Not disagreeing, certainly, just curious!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Interesting. Why would you say that? Not disagreeing, certainly, just curious!
Fair amount of pressure rollers transmit into the bottom of the boat. (can dent the hull bottom) Weight distribution like walking in deep snow with or without snowshoes. I prefer bunks for loading. Once you have your depth dialed in, wind or current no problem.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Agree with Prairie Surfer. Once you figure out where boat needs to be in the water, loading onto bunks is way easier. Mine on my Shorlander pretty well self centers on the bunks.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

Reactions: Nathan

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, guys. Now I just need to figure out how to mount bunks with two very different cross members. My rear one is angled down on the sides, while the front one is flat and set 4” higher. Haven’t seen any good brackets to mount on a 10 degree angle, and am worried that a standard mount will lean too much.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle
Wood Rectangle Bumper Composite material Gas
Rectangle Gesture Parallel Font Electronic device

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mount the bunks on a hinged mount. I’d post pics of mine but I’m 800 kms away from my boat.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Longevity and strength will be determined by guage of steel along with size and strength of bolt. It is a similar setup but my brackets wrap up the sides of the bunks too about 3/4 of the way. Personally I would try and shop in person for these.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Here’s a pic of my bunk bracket. Front and rear are the same.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here’s a pic of my bunk bracket. Front and rear are the same.

Thanks again for all of the help! I picked up the bunk mount linked above (though locally, not from Amazon) and it is really solid, so the 10 degree angle should be no issue. Saw a few other boats with the same hardware for much bigger setups while getting it installed at St. Vital Park yesterday.
After a few trial-and-error attempts we got the bunks set at the right height and angle, added the bunk slicks (opted for no carpet), and everything seems to be working great. Saved me a delay until late October (locally) or a trip to Niverville and a few bucks too!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts