Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat trailer bunks are rotten and need to be replaced. Any recommendations?
found some online but if possible I’d rather support someone in Manitoba and be sure that I can physically get my hands on them rather then waiting all summer on back orders stuff

thanks

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I did mine 2 years ago. I replaced them using the same size pressure treated lumber covered with indoor outdoor carpet. I went to the boat launch with a cordless drill, drill bit, wrench, utility knife and a staple gun. I launched the boat and replaced them on the spot. Pretty simple really and it didn't take long!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Avo Marine. Higgins just bought his replacement bunks there. 611 Ferry Rd.
A&R Carpet Barn has Boat carpet in colors, Blue, Black, Red, and Charcoal. It comes 6ft wide and $1.89 sq ft.

I wanted the same as what I had before, 360 degree completely wrapped.

In order to do the bunks in one piece, I would have required a bit more than a 9ft x 6ft piece, which would cost $114.31 taxes included. Then find the right wood, and stainless staples, all easy enough to do. Even had abousetta's air stapler lined up.
AVO got me 2 bunks (9 ' long 2"X6") with complete wrap, free shipping, from EZ Loader trailers as they had a trailer load coming anyways. $280.00 + tax. ---
2 week waiting time.
They are well made I have to say.

You can do it yourself for about 1/2 the price or better.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Has anyone had any luck getting replacement bunk brackets for Shoreland'r trailers?

Been calling around and very places have any parts to speak of for trailers, never mind specific bunk brackets for Shoreland'r.

I'm helping my neighbor do some bunk repairs, but some of his brackets are outright missing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Has anyone had any luck getting replacement bunk brackets for Shoreland'r trailers?

Been calling around and very places have any parts to speak of for trailers, never mind specific bunk brackets for Shoreland'r.

I'm helping my neighbor do some bunk repairs, but some of his brackets are outright missing.
Looking at mine you should be able to fabricate some if you can weld or know a welder. Only thing is they won’t be galvanized if the trailer is.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I did mine a few years ago. I have a tandem Shore‘ land’r with rollers and bunks. I purchased cedar 2 x 6 from local lumber yard and carpet for bunks from AVO. Stainless staples. It was very simple....just think about it before you tie into it. It’s simple. DO NOT cover the cedar planks completely with carpet. Leave the bottom 4” (wide) open to the air and they will dry out quicker and you won’t be doing it again in three years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone used any type of membrane between the pressure treated wood and the carpet on the bunks to prevent the chemical leaching out and damaging the aluminum hull of the boat?

I'm going to replace to carpet on my boat lift and it looks like the wood is pressure treated. Ive used it for one season already. Found this product at homedepot.
Considering using that as a membrane. or maybe this.

Pressure treated wood will corrode aluminum even if they are wrapped in carpet.

read this link:

·
Registered
832 Posts

Lots of copper based preservatives. I would use some kind of membrane but wouldn’t wrap plank totally. Leave the bottom open.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm just trying to find out what would be an acceptable membrane to prevent the copper from interacting with the aluminum. Sounds like carpet alone isn't.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Replaced my 2 nine foot bunks that were original 2003 EZ Loader brand, with 2 new bunks (full wrap) from EZ Loader trailers. After the boat was lifted off took about 1/2 hour to do (16 lag bolts).

Discovered old bunks were in real bad shape, in fact boat sits about 1" higher on the new firmer bunks, good thing the wood closet to the brackets was still holding. My bad for not changing them sooner!

What I really want to share is that once the boat weight is back on I found the lag bolts needed to be tightened, just like re-torquing lug nuts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Picked up some Marine Carpet from A&R Carpet Barn. Was told it is supposed to be water proof. It has a rubber backing on it so it may be. AVO also told me if the bunks have carpet it should be ok. Not sure if I want to take the chance and not put some sort of rubber membrane on the bunks below the carpet. The cost isn't huge for piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
4,426 Posts
Picked up some Marine Carpet from A&R Carpet Barn. Was told it is supposed to be water proof. It has a rubber backing on it so it may be. AVO also told me if the bunks have carpet it should be ok. Not sure if I want to take the chance and not put some sort of rubber membrane on the bunks below the carpet. The cost isn't huge for piece of mind.

Key word in Avo's suggestion..........."should" ? LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts