Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
If the blades did not come from the factory sharpened like that why would he go grinding on them like that? He totally destroyed 2 sets of Mora Lazer blades of mine by grinding on the back like that, all they would do is spin like a top and not cut, took them to Smoke and fish but they were toast, $160 for new blades.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If the blades did not come from the factory sharpened like that why would he go grinding on them like that? He totally destroyed 2 sets of Mora Lazer blades of mine by grinding on the back like that, all they would do is spin like a top and not cut, took them to Smoke and fish but they were toast, $160 for new blades.
I have heard of a bunch of people having issues with getting strikemaster mora lazer blades sharpened at various places. Seems like Art's sharpening service near St. Anne's is the only guy that can do them right. Also heard Smoke and Fish is almost as good. I recently read someone experience what you said with new mora blades out of the package, but he then sharpened the center point and that fixed the issue.

Since I have Eskimo quantum blades, I go to Peter since he doesnt charge much and they always cut great after I take them there.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have heard of a bunch of people having issues with getting strikemaster mora lazer blades sharpened at various places. Seems like Art's sharpening service near St. Anne's is the only guy that can do them right. Also heard Smoke and Fish is almost as good. I recently read someone experience what you said with new mora blades out of the package, but he then sharpened the center point and that fixed the issue.

Since I have Eskimo quantum blades, I go to Peter since he doesnt charge much and they always cut great after I take them there.
Ya, I have heard nothing but good about him sharpening Eskimo blades, also a very friendly man.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cameron Tait will sharpen any blades and has a Jig to do Strikemaster mora blades razor sharp. Got mine done last week and they were perfect. I don't have his # but he is on facebook and messenger. Lives in Westwood. $9 a blade. He has some sort of swedish wet stone machine that works slick.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Is there anyone in Manitoba that can sharpen the Nils auger properly?
No, you have to send those to Frank Deluca ([email protected]) in Minnesota. He is the only one around that does NILS blades because of the curve and the one piece design of it. Got mine done, cheap and he mails them back to you. Don't try anywhere else and NEVER try to do it yourself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I stopped by smoke n fish to sharpen 2 sets of blades.
The technician told me that one set was baddly sharpened (uneven and wrong angle) previously and will not be sharpened correctly anymore.
I recalled last season and it was done by 'sharpening guy' on cathedral ave.
Well, A set of blades wasted after drilled 20-30 holes from brandnew last season.
By the way, the sharpening guy on cathedral ave. does not do ice auger blade anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a bad ice auger blade that would hardly cut at all. Over 5 min to cut one hole. (servers me right for trying to sharpen my own blade haha)

Took It to Art Poschner's Sharpening Services just north of St Anne.

WOW - what a great job. Cuts as good as new. I will use him for all my sharpening from now on!

Nice guy - offered me a cup of coffee while I waited.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I hit bottom with mine on Saturday. completely dull in seconds. dropped in at smoke n fish on the way home and had them sharpened. tried them and nothing just like when dull. shimmed them with 2 layers from a pop can and nothing. replaced with a brand new set they cut like butter.

Ive had peter ???? from Winnipeg sharpen mine in the past, they cut good but not as good as new, and seem to dull a fair bit quicker. anyone know a wizard on the eskimo 8 inch blades I could try?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hit murky ice on Saturday and killed two augers. Borrowed from someone near by. Took our 20 bucks to use his auger (ahhhh, the fisherman's code lol)

Went to Smoke 'N Fish, listened to all the bragging about how good he sharpens. Bought backups just in case.

Sunday... auger skipping across the ice. Lucky it even cut snow! Put new blades on. Thank goodness we bought them.

Will be going back to have a little chat. Super disappointed. Will be looking elsewhere!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I want to replace the blades on my older SrikeMaster lazer mag 8". Does anyone know where I can find these ? They seem to be hard locate..

·
Registered
355 Posts
I want to replace the blades on my older SrikeMaster lazer mag 8". Does anyone know where I can find these ? They seem to be hard locate..

Are they 8 inch Mora blades you have?
If so ,I picked up a set from Cummings on Marion last week for a buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just thought I’d add my 2 cents here on this dated post...

I took mine to Smoke and Fish last year, Horrible job, would not even cut what so ever, ruined a Half day for us, blades where fairly new too but just felt they needed a touch up.
Gave him the benefit of the doubt being local and tried again near end of last season...Never again.

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Just thought I’d add my 2 cents here on this dated post...

I took mine to Smoke and Fish last year, Horrible job, would not even cut what so ever, ruined a Half day for us, blades where fairly new too but just felt they needed a touch up.
Gave him the benefit of the doubt being local and tried again near end of last season...Never again.

Hit and miss at that place just like any place else...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Blade sharpening

Tried "the hand of Gord". Friendly, fast service. Did a good job sharpening my spare 8 inch Jiffy blade. Will be dropping off my other set today. St James area. Nine dollars plus tax for my blade.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe someone can help. Jiffy 8 inch propane,with stx blades. I cut the first hole of four,and that auger pulls out of my hands making huge chips. By the fourth hole,I’m putting pressure on it trying to drill. Next trip,the same. I doing something wrong?

141 - 160 of 175 Posts