Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lots of fisherman calling and coming over for Ice Auger Sharpening...$5/set of 2
Web: WWW.sharpeningguy.ca for prices
Ph: 204-282-8834 or Cell:204-290-0831

We also sharpen Filetting Knives $5...Hunting Knives..$5....Chef Knives....Kitchen Knives...check website for the latter.

I sharpen with a AMK75 Tactical sharpener designed and manufactured by a retired Navy Seal. This is not a pull through sharpening...they'll be razor sharp.

View attachment 77393

7 Days per week and evenings when I'm not out fishing.
Update. Sharpeningguy does not do ice auger blade anymore. Dec15/17.

·
Registered
281 Posts
blades

just took my blades to 452 Leighton, did them on the spot and they are razor sharpe as witnessed by my finger when installing them, thank God I had thick gloves on

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
just took my blades to 452 Leighton, did them on the spot and they are razor sharpe as witnessed by my finger when installing them, thank God I had thick gloves on

Peter verbeek is awesome guy i sat with him for 1 hr last year and his Blades are Sharp... Buck a inch i believe he charges Would i be right ..Slyfox ???

·
Registered
281 Posts
blades

Peter verbeek is awesome guy i sat with him for 1 hr last year and his Blades are Sharp... Buck a inch i believe he charges Would i be right ..Slyfox ???
yes your correct very nice gentleman, he also took time to show me various photos of a successful trip he had been on to BC, sturgeon fishing on the fraser river

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I spoke with the most gorgeous and friendly brunette gal at Smoke N Fish and she said to just drop them off and they'll be ready within the day... she said "he's fast, and has been doing them forever". I don't care what anyone says, but I'm inclined to believe anything that girl says...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Peter fixed my blades!

So I just went out and tried my newly sharpened blades that Peter sharpened for me while I waited today. They are better than a new set! He modified my 10” mora blades so they cut better than when the auger was new. He has been doing this for almost as long as I have been on this planet and from now on he will be the only person sharpening my blades. Oh and very reasonably priced at $10. Almost Half of what the last guy charged me and did a crappy job! Thank you Peter!

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
So I just went out and tried my newly sharpened blades that Peter sharpened for me while I waited today. They are better than a new set! He modified my 10” mora blades so they cut better than when the auger was new. He has been doing this for almost as long as I have been on this planet and from now on he will be the only person sharpening my blades. Oh and very reasonably priced at $10. Almost Half of what the last guy charged me and did a crappy job! Thank you Peter!
I bought a new set of blades last year after the Sharpenguy killed my blades..

I ended up keeping the Set of blades took them to Smoke n fish and they said there wasn't anything they could do with.. That is when i heard about Peter I took a chance and took that set and another set of blades to him and Go figure both sets are better then New.... Peter is a Master.....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Just got back from Mr. Verbeek's place and my freshly sharpened blades are now installed. They look great and I'll be testing them out shortly.
Such a sweet guy, and a fellow Dutchman too! Incredibly gracious, even though I almost made him late for church! Lol!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just got back from Mr. Verbeek's place and my freshly sharpened blades are now installed. They look great and I'll be testing them out shortly.
Such a sweet guy, and a fellow Dutchman too! Incredibly gracious, even though I almost made him late for church! Lol!

Did Peter just now shave the extra bit on the flat bottom of the blades that I see in your photo? Reason I ask, is he did this to my 8” and 10” eskimo flytes in the past, and then about a week or two ago I went there and brought my blades attached to the flight and he was shocked at the angle the blades were installed, he said that what he did previously was not neccessary. He thought the blades sat more flat and that was why he added that feature in the past.

Anyways, Peter does do a great job, and is a great guy. I always take my blades to him.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yes he just did that today.
I showed him a picture of them installed before hand on the flyte and he knew they were Eskimo. He said they will bite in better and cut much easier.
Have experienced any adverse effects from having them done that way?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Did Peter just now shave the extra bit on the flat bottom of the blades that I see in your photo? Reason I ask, is he did this to my 8” and 10” eskimo flytes in the past, and then about a week or two ago I went there and brought my blades attached to the flight and he was shocked at the angle the blades were installed, he said that what he did previously was not neccessary. He thought the blades sat more flat and that was why he added that feature in the past.

Anyways, Peter does do a great job, and is a great guy. I always take my blades to him.
Looks to me he is using the same technique as sharpening a drill bit, giving it a relief angle so the outer edges cut first and then down to the center point, good modification idea.
Normally they are sharpened from the factory evenly across the blade.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
That was my thinking too. ↑↑↑ I see it only as an improvement, and you're right, they come sharpened evenly across the blade from the factory.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes he just did that today.
I showed him a picture of them installed before hand on the flyte and he knew they were Eskimo. He said they will bite in better and cut much easier.
Have experienced any adverse effects from having them done that way?
Interesting... he told me that too before, but when he saw them on my flight in person he was totally shocked and said his mod would make no difference at all since his mod was only if they were installed flat. He saw that the bolt heads came out under the auger flight and then he looked at the clearance and said there was way more clearance than he realized before. On his own hand auger the bolts threaded into the blades. Mine, like yours, the bolts do not. There is a bolt and a nut.

Since the blades are installed at a angle the clearance makes the mod pointless is what he told me. Even the bolt heads stick out past the mod. So the mod doesnt even come into play is what he said.

No adverse effects, they still cut great. I am surprised he is still adding the mod though considering he was confident that the mod didnt make any difference considering the angle/clearance.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Interesting... he told me that too before, but when he saw them on my flight in person he was totally shocked and said his mod would make no difference at all since his mod was only if they were installed flat. He saw that the bolt heads came out under the auger flight and then he looked at the clearance and said there was way more clearance than he realized before. On his own hand auger the bolts threaded into the blades. Mine, like yours, the bolts do not. There is a bolt and a nut.

Since the blades are installed at a angle the clearance makes the mod pointless is what he told me. Even the bolt heads stick out past the mod. So the mod doesnt even come into play is what he said.

No adverse effects, they still cut great. I am surprised he is still adding the mod though considering he was confident that the mod didnt make any difference considering the angle/clearance.
Thanks for the insight! I have a spare set for each flight, so I'll be sure to ask him if it's necessary when it's their turn for a sharpen.

121 - 140 of 175 Posts