Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the wife and the dog for a walk into Black Beaver tonight after getting a good frost last night. Started out trying Floating worm harnesses with a few bites, but nothing fully committing. Switched one rod to a simple blue and silver spoon and had instant success. Pulled out 8 nice Brooks, all over 16", with the biggest at 22.5 inches. Beautiful looking fish and a great fight. Phone died at the lake so I had to wait until home to snap a picture. Fresh trout for supper was a nice treat.

Trail is quite wet, I'd advise against driving in. Only a 5-15 minute walk depending where you go.

Pureformance, Puresistance, Purefection

·
Super Moderator
911 Posts
Awesome! Great job! I wasnt aware black beaver had brook trout, I figured only rainbow trout. I'm assuming that means the brook trout spawn has begun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of rainbows in Black Beaver. Normally catch more in the winter then now. Brooks are looking good in there.

That trail is atv, sled or walk only. Used to drive trucks in with no issue till a few jeeps decided to rip it up.
Yeah I remember being able to drive in there easily. You still could, but it will only make it worse. I've seen a lot of nice rainbows pulled out, but the spot I frequent seems to produce brooks a lot more. I think I may take my boat in there next time to try some other areas.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yeah I remember being able to drive in there easily. You still could, but it will only make it worse. I've seen a lot of nice rainbows pulled out, but the spot I frequent seems to produce brooks a lot more. I think I may take my boat in there next time to try some other areas.

I'm assuming your either fishing on the north shore where the big hill is or on the point on the east side. Excellent fishing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
yea the point on the east side. i find that the go to spot in the winter for myself. lots fish just near the hill but the big guys like the cleaner water near the point.

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Was supposed to still be in the Ducks for another 2 days but went home early, this weather just isn't for me.

By spring I'm hopefully going to have a quad and trailer set up to drag my jon boat into some of these less accessible lakes. Want to hit up Gass and Vini in the Porcupine Mtn as well.

I'm actually torn right now as to whether I should just winterize my big boat and focus on getting the trailer back on the road ASAP. I can comfortably fish more lakes with the big boat, but I really want to get on West Blue this fall and I can't take both boats and my truck camper along......gotta pick one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went into black beaver on Sunday with the kayak. Fished all around the island and caught lots of nice rainbows and 1 Brook. All around 16". All caught on smallest size blue and silver spoon I could find. Anything bigger didn't seem to interest them.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
Went into black beaver on Sunday with the kayak. Fished all around the island and caught lots of nice rainbows and 1 Brook. All around 16". All caught on smallest size blue and silver spoon I could find. Anything bigger didn't seem to interest them.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Nice. Sounds like it survived the meat eaters from the winter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was out at black beaver last weekend. The trail in is quite wet, and pretty deeply rutted.

The brook trout were biting, though, and I caught three, with one coming in just a hair under 40cm (all released). I saw lots of them follow my spinner right up to the side of my boat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also, if you were one of the two guys who I saw on the trail on my way out, I hope you had good luck too! I was the woman portaging an entire canoe down the trail by herself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In Black Beaver today on the ice. Thinnest I found was 4 inches crystal clear ice. Thickest I found was over 6. Only took a chisel and it was almost too much for that.

Pulled out a 19 and a 18 inch brookie, 3 small browns, 1 small rainbow (all under 35cm, didn't care to measure)

Didn't have much time so didn't venture too far.

Checked out Two Mile while I was in the area, ice is definitely thinner there. Thickest I found was about 4 inches, but still definitely safe ice. No fish caught in Two Mile.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts