Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

I have been recreationally fishing on the red/Assiniboine rivers inside Winnipeg limits for a few months now since I got bored during covid. For background I have a family owned cottage about 20 minutes past kenora and all of my previous fishing experience was there either casting for pike and smallies and trolling for walleye. Since I started fishing in Winnipeg for everything the river has to offer I can say I’m genuinely impressed and happy about the variety and size you can get there. I would encourage you if you are feeling bored and have never fished within the city for catfish,drum, goldeye and more give it a try. A photo of my buddy below to prove. Fat 35 inch catfish caught almost downtown.
Smile Water Hunting Plant Hat

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got this guy today. Just one, but I'll take it.

South Red River.

View attachment 121320
Honestly that 1 nice fight and catch can make up for hours of nothing! Haven’t tried in the south end of the city in a while, I wonder what maple grove park is looking like with the high water have had great luck there before.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Honestly that 1 nice fight and catch can make up for hours of nothing! Haven’t tried in the south end of the city in a while, I wonder what maple grove park is looking like with the high water have had great luck there before.
I've seen people fishing at Maple Grove already, St Norbert and the floodway entrance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The floodway bridge (courchene?), So decided which side want before heading past the Perimiter.
South of Courchaine on St Mary's road, just over the floodway bridge (10 meters?) go west down the gravel road to the end. I gather there are no snags there as you'll be casting onto the floodway grass with the high water.

Also just north the St Norbert gates on the west side. You can fish the east side but you have to bypass the locked gates on the road or walk a ways in. FYI, just took a peek at the fish awards for this year ... a MA carp was caught on the west side.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All i have to say is if you have a free evening and the weather is nice this week hit Maple Grove, bring sturdy tackle and variety of bait, nightcrawlers worked best for us. 4 oz weights was a must, anything lighter seemed to get blown around in the current. Wouldn't say we caught a crazy amount of fish but the average size was crazy, all cats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My son had a cough yesterday morning, so I took the day off with him. We went to maple grove in the afternoon for a couple of hours and used crawlers on catfish rigs. Within 15 minutes, my son caught this 33" cat. 20-30 minutes later using a hot dog we had another on the line (felt bigger) but lost it. I foul hooked a goldeye a bit later and cut that up for bait, but only had a couple of bumps for the last hour.
Smile Shorts Hat Plant Sunglasses

·
Registered
49 Posts
My son had a cough yesterday morning, so I took the day off with him. We went to maple grove in the afternoon for a couple of hours and used crawlers on catfish rigs. Within 15 minutes, my son caught this 33" cat. 20-30 minutes later using a hot dog we had another on the line (felt bigger) but lost it. I foul hooked a goldeye a bit later and cut that up for bait, but only had a couple of bumps for the last hour.
View attachment 121406
Sounds like a good day....better than work any day!

Nice catch. It's bigger than your son!

Reactions: Brocket
1 - 11 of 11 Posts