Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never fished for sturgeon but would like to give it a try this year. What size weight should one use when in current and whats a good bait to use?

Would cut up cat fish be appealing enough as bait?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Suckers cut up are one of the choice baits (and they should still be running in streams now). Also try night crawlers, load up a bunch on your hook ( shout out to Manny's Baits ).
Any other suggestions.
Jim

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
I can't offer any advice as to what bait works best or doesn't work. I've never targeted sturgeon before.
But on the weight question... Use whatever weight it takes to hold your bait to the bottom where you want it. Adjust according to current.

I'm sure a couple sturgeon experts will chime in with a couple suggestions for you yet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Catfish as cut-bait is illegal. Read the regulations regarding species suitable as cutbaits.
Looks like its gonna be goldeye, and mooneye cut up as bait. Thanks for the heads up.

For anybody who fishes sturgeon on the wpg river... is it worth trying for them in may after the opening or do they start to bite sometime in june?

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
My son and i fish Sturgeon from opening weekend up until Labor day and then it's just myself until roughly the end of October. Use just enough weight to hold on bottom:NO more as it will make detecting the bite extremely difficult. For a fish this size their pickups are very very subtle to say the least!!! The bait of choice normally is as many crawlers that you can put onto an 8/0 Gama Octopus hook. Minnows will catch them too but not as many using Crawlers will!! 50#braid at minimum as well as Heavy rod-reel combos are a must as to not seriously stress the Sturgeon that using lighter tackle will do!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem getting night crawlers for bait here.... my yard is so rough and bumpy from those buggers you almost get bounced off the lawn mower cutting grass.

In may and early june are they in deep water with current or should i be fishing shallow... say 10 to 15 feet ?

oh ya.. thanks for the info so far guys.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I follow the worm, minnow, worm, minnow routine. Also, when installing your worms, ball them up as close to the hook as possible to help deter the sauger and walleye from biting.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My son and i fish Sturgeon from opening weekend up until Labor day and then it's just myself until roughly the end of October. Use just enough weight to hold on bottom:NO more as it will make detecting the bite extremely difficult. For a fish this size their pickups are very very subtle to say the least!!! The bait of choice normally is as many crawlers that you can put onto an 8/0 Gama Octopus hook. Minnows will catch them too but not as many using Crawlers will!! 50#braid at minimum as well as Heavy rod-reel combos are a must as to not seriously stress the Sturgeon that using lighter tackle will do!!!
Any idea how good a sturgeons vision is. If using braid is it ok to tie direct to your hook or should you use a fluorocarbon leader, and if so i guess you should match the same pound test?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use 80 lb dacron to tie my hooks with. I know it is weird, but I use a 30LB braid as a main line with a No-Roll and bead, connected to swivel, then my 80lb dacron to my hook. I believe it is Mason brand dacron, white with green dot. The reason for this is the same as I follow for cats. The smaller diameter braids, even the higher 'test' ones, in my opinion can do damage to a fish. This is mainly when getting close and rolling. I have seen the smaller diameter leaders, or even main lines cut into the fish. This is why I use a standard dacron in the 80 lb test, so it is not as easy to cut into their flesh. It has so far NOT hampered my abilities to catch fish, both sturgeon and catfish. I do make my own No-Roll sinkers, and buy my other stuff for the rigs in bulk, so I am not worried about losing a rig or two. But overall, I have not lost one rig fishing sturgeon yet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry, but to answer your post, I do not know how good their vision is, but tie with whichever you choose. Again, overall, I prefer braid in the larger test. I also forgot to mention that having the heavier dacron is a bonus when the fish is close to the boat, as you can safely grab the line by hand to assist. Yes, I have forgotten my net a couple of times....

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Sturgeon generally live in deep lakes or river habitats were it is dark and murky. As a result, they may not rely on their vision to spot food or predators.
Sturgeon rely on their other senses, including:
Corkscrew shaped nostrils and heightened sense of smell.
Four fleshy whiskers (barbels) hang down in front of their mouths which can 'smell' or taste food in the water.
They also have the ability to detect electromagnetic fields, which enable them to detect a living organism.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got into it last year and got a couple of 50's. All it took was a single full crawler on a largeish circle/octopus hook. about 8-12 inches of heavy mono below a barrel swivel. 6-8 feet of heavy mono above the swivel too, if you're spooled with braid.

I've heard a lot of people swear by a bunch of methods, and I'm sure they all work well. I believe that most people habitually fish with what they think works, and as a result catch all their fish on that rig, reinforcing their conviction that "that's how it's done"

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I've heard a lot of people swear by a bunch of methods, and I'm sure they all work well. I believe that most people habitually fish with what they think works, and as a result catch all their fish on that rig, reinforcing their conviction that "that's how it's done"

You are 100% right there!!! And it's the guys who always do the same thing day in and day out that say "they aren't biting today"... An open mind is a beautiful thing when it comes to fishing for any species...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.