Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across two older Fenwick fly rods in my garage. They were my pops and grandfathers. after letting them sit there and collect dust for the last three years I have pulled the trigger on a beginner redington reel kit to put on one of them.

I have not fly fished in my life so I am going to be doing the self taught route which is ok as I live within 10mins from lake William and can get out there anytime to practice.

anyone have any tips for technique or interesting flys to use for bass besides the top water popper kinds?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Poppers especially in June and cast v close to shore. Buy smaller ones - not the LM bass sized ones. If bass won't come up for poppers - leech patterns or wooly buggers- size 6 or4 hook and in brown, black and olive. Some days one color is hotter than the other.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did well on muddler minnows and also bead head nymphs, I was fishing conventional bass
Rigs for a couple hours and Couldnt get hooked into any one day (about a month ago) then switched to fly rod out of frustration and had 5-6 bass follow the fly on my 1st cast then I was just nailing them until I couldn't handle the bugs anymore. One thing I found interesting is the way they strike a fly, completely different than spinning tackle they just kinda gulp down the fly like its no big deal kinda lazily in comparison to what I was used to

1 - 6 of 6 Posts