Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I flatten the barbs, especially on the bigger circle hooks sometimes the barb snaps off and leaves a little ridge. Is that considered barbless or does it have to be completely flattened. The ridge isn't that big but wasn't sure if that made a difference and didn't want to be fishing illegally if it did. Thanks in advance to anyone that can let me know.

G

·
I have had this happen to me as well. And have never got confirmation one way or the other. However I just play it safe I run my finger down the hook and if anything even slightly hangs my finger up I squeeze and pinch until it is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I have noticed the CO's do this same thing when checking hooks they run their finger down it. However I am not sure how picky they get. I guess it is just how they are you give attitude and they can be pretty mean. You just let them do their job they are pretty decent.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nvisible. It's only happened to me a few times and I have just left the hooks off to the side to be safe. Like I said there isn't much of a ridge but didn't want to use them just in case. I figured eating the cost of a few hooks is better than the alternative.

G

·
Probably overkill but I bought a round file for just when this happens. I just file the nub down. File was like $6 or so. Probably could go visit MNTMAN at PA and get one cheaper ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I actually have a 4 or 5 pack of files that I bought from PA a few years back. I'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts