Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the season opened I've been out to 5 different locations on 5 different days with a buddy of mine, sturgeon creek, assiniboine river, la salle river. A bunch of different locations on each.

So far the amount of bites we've got is one. Caught, zero. Kind of insane how bad the luck is.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tough luck with the fishing. At least a rotten day fishing still beats any day on the job site lol

not sure what you’re using for gear but natural baits sitting on the bottom can catch a whack load of different species

there’s lots of water and current everywhere. Try and find a spot with some slack or slower water near the major current. Fish will stack up in these spots to rest, out of the current.
There’s an old saying “10% of the water holds 90% of the fish”
Might not be 100% accurate but it’s the best advice I’ve got.

Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have found it to be very slow this year. Due to the high water levels we have only fished at Lockport. We have been out four times. First day out we were fishing with salted minnows. After no bites we switched to fishing for catfish with tullibee. We managed one catfish that day. Second day out was best day so far, we managed 4 catfish, with two being masters. The last two days we got skunked. Rarely have we gotten skunked at Lockport, can usually catch something. This time last year we were catching about 10 drum each per trip and you would get the occasional catfish on minnows or worms. It has been a very disappointing start to the season.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there’s lots of water and current everywhere. Try and find a spot with some slack or slower water near the major current. Fish will stack up in these spots to rest, out of the current.
There’s an old saying “10% of the water holds 90% of the fish”
We have been basically exclusively casting into calm spots near strong currents, or on the la salle the entire stretch of river was pretty calm. Nightcrawlers, shrimp, chicken gizzards looking for catfish, buddy also used some rubber leeches and worms. Insanely dry so far, except for one huge bite.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since the season opened I've been out to 5 different locations on 5 different days with a buddy of mine, sturgeon creek, assiniboine river, la salle river. A bunch of different locations on each.

So far the amount of bites we've got is one. Caught, zero. Kind of insane how bad the luck is.

Anyone else?
I was thinking of trying the Assiniboine this weekend but it's still flooded out. Omand creek is running super fast.
I don't think we are even going to pick up licenses this season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts