Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, does anyone have any inspiring updates from Balsam Bay? Would a mini van be alright to drive on right now? How has the activity been lately? Happy Holidays?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I sure hope it picks up very soon. However I do know a spot north of the bridge to know where that usually produces some quality eyes early. Hopefully soon I will make my escape.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
The Skipper said:
I do know a spot north of the bridge to know where that usually produces some quality eyes early.
Unfortunately its not early ice any more, my first ice was Dec 3, the mood of the fish on the Red has changed a lot since then. There are still big ones being caught every day but they are a tougher catch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Balsam Bay would be easy access for a minivan right now, hope you have decent tires mind you..just watch out for the rough ice and pressure ridges. Seen smaller cars venturing out there the last 3 days. Many fishing close to the harbor, but no idea how well they are doing there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:shock: Holy smokes. Maybe I just gave some bad advice. You just never know where there might be a soft spot I guess. Conditions can change with pressure cracks and what not, and would not trust the rough previously broken ice at this time and have stayed well clear of those areas. Thanks for the important update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh ya MNTMAN you forgot the one big horseshoe. lol Poor truck! Oh well, it looks like a Ford anyway.
GO CANADA!! GO JETS! Have a great NEW YEAR to ALL !!

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
FYI, just so newer folks should be aware, DO NOT DRIVE FAST on the lake, its does cause a wave that mostly you would never know, does some kooky things to ice, may not get you down but may take a unsuspecting vehicle to the depths, just saying and please if someone has a better insight please speak up, I', relativley newer myself to frozen stuff, be safe and all have a happy new year, Tinman sent you a Pm but not great on a computer, did you get it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think with the temps going up and down like a yo-yo can't help.And with all the people driving out there things can happen like you say driving to fast. First ice is the most dangerous as well as late ice. I'm never in a hurry to drive out at beginning of ice season but that's just me. I've been ice fishing for quite few years and always was never a quick starter no fish is worth your life or family's or your rig.

·
Registered
545 Posts
They are ok...this happened very close to the harbour rockpile. When Lee and I drove on this morning, no one had driven thru this spot, something told me to stay away , so I stayed over to the south....glad I did.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Blackwatercats said:
Ice is never 100% safe. Always need to use your common sense and go around any spot that looks suspicious especially near ridges. If a ridge or crack looks wet or like it was wet recently don't go near it.

Saw that truck on the way back. (HOLLY SHEET!!!) It was very close to the harbour. we drove out at first light and drove behind tracks that were already there. Saying that I cannot fault the owner of that truck as we would all assume he was in a safe spot. 14- 16 inches at every hole we drilled. Be safe boys!!!

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
Fact is that he was driving behind a truck that was pulling a big 5th wheel trailer, that rig hit the a ridge/crack broke it up, then this guy drove right into it....................so generally speaking it's ok out there, go slow, don't follow too close to another vehicle, keep your eyes open........glad everyones safe.........and keep one of those window hammers/window breaking tools in your truck so you don't have to use your thermos to break out your back window like this guy had to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yea glad to hear everyone was ok. yes please go slow on the ice. been said before that the weight of a vehicle creates a wave and eventually that wave starts coming back. the pressure from said wave can "blow out" a spot or can catch the guy behind you because the supporting water is no longer there momentarily creating airspace between ice and surface of the water. BE SAFE! ok that being said howcome the jackasses runnin their explorers and midsized cars/pickups at light speed arent the dumbasses falling through? sheeit just once would i like to see a jerk like that take the cold plunge. those guys are a danger to everyone around them! ok rant over. sorry guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts