Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now guys this is not a tip I share with very many. And this will be a MFF exclusive. I will not share any more tips like this if I see this being posted on other forums.

Now any one that hunts will tell you that you need to be gentle with your meat. This is because bruising can occur. Bruising is when the blood from the internals of the animal bleed into the meat.

Now my hint today is to beat your Goldeye. I picked this tip up when I was down south fishing in the Golf a few years back. The same technique transfers beautifully to our monster catfish locally here in Manitoba. Bruising of the fresh goldeye will cause for a more bloody bait. Any one who has fished with Goldeye will tell you cut the chunk and leave the guts in cause the guts hold the blood. However a few minutes in the water and guts are gone and so is most of the blood. By taking a small mallet on your fresh goldeye catch and beat it pretty good Not hard enough to explode the thing but just bruise it up real good you will know when you have beat it enough as the eyes will turn red. When you cut your slab off you will not see the normal white fish type meat that you are use to fishing with instead you will have a pink to dark red bloody morsel that really attracts those big kitties. You will also notice that the blood stays in the meat alot longer then it stays in the guts.

If you catch Goldeye and freeze it for using on a later date. Beat your gold eye before you freeze it.

Again guys keep this tip here. And alot more will follow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is one of those deep rooted pass to your next of kin tips. Give it a try you will not be disappointed you got my word on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I learned the technique shark fishing in the golf a few years back. We would use whole bait fish but we would beat them first and then make small cuts thru the body to let the blood seep. With goldeye because we don't use whole fish we only use large chunks the beating technique works really well but no need to make the small body cuts.

For those of you that use sucker. It works with them as well.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guys...do you really need a reminder to be gentle when beating your meat?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Kennyw said:
Guys...do you really need a reminder to be gentle when beating your meat?
ROFL :lol: How true! Couldn't help laughing when reading this post. Great tip Nvisible, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts