Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this one has been in the works since last fall! Nothingman and I wanted to step up our game from the kayak so we planned out a backcountry Muskie fishing trip. We put in the time to understand what we needed for tackle, gear, and to take the proper safety precautions for both us from the kayak and the fish we were catching. We did all the background work on what area we wanted to go and what to look for when trying to locate the fish of 10,000 casts (and 100,000 paddle strokes!). It was an adventure to say the least! Since we were out there for nine days (we were on Lake of the Woods and I'll keep it to that) we experience all weather conditions from crazy thunderstorms, extreme rain and wind, and bright sunny days with the water looking like glass. The first two days were spend at camp since the rain and wind was so bad and I didn't expect much on our 3rd day (first day actually fishing) as I was still getting use to the big muskie gear from the kayak, but man we were spot on with pin pointing locations and I ended up getting a nice 41" muskie trolling a big jake on the first day of fishing! That seemed to set the tone for the rest of the trip as we ended up with 9 follows, 4 muskie landed (40", 41", and two 44") as well as a fat 37" Northern and a bunch of walleye and bass in between! The other muskie hit on spinner baits and bulldogs striking on the "Oval" (my version of the figure 8 from the yak), and the Northern hit on a massive 8" five of diamonds. What a thrill to see a muskie nail your bait on the follow doing the Oval within inches of you and the yak, man does that get the heart pounding!! It takes some very special skill and teamwork to safely land (both for you and the fish) from a kayak and I would say even more skill for the second guy landing the fish as you have to maneuver and be ready with a massive net while the wind pushes you around and have perfect timing. The best thing about being on the kayak though is being so close to the action while catching these incredible fish which also helps allow us to keep them in the water the whole time until time for a 10 second couple picture snaps. Over the course of the trip we covered a lot of ground and wanted to get away from any traffic and find our own spots, putting in well over 80 km of paddling! What a trip!!
FB_IMG_1467260338162.jpg

FB_IMG_1467085983119.jpg

FB_IMG_1467085988937.jpg

FB_IMG_1467260459660.jpg

FB_IMG_1467459764955.jpg

FB_IMG_1467506970973.jpg

20160702_082057.jpg

20160702_081618.jpg

20160627_214145.jpg

20160629_213934.jpg

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Nice job boys! You guys rock!

Reactions: Murds

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great job and very nice of you to provide a report. I'm sure you inspired many current and future kayakers to have their own adventure. I've seen you both before (I have a green Hobie Mirage) during the fall greenback run.

I have tried this as well on LOTW but only day trips and have caught one. After losing a couple I realized how important tackle and setup was. I had to downsize a bit from my bigger lures because I found in a kayak I just cannot set the hook hard enough to have a solid chance (even with razor sharp personally sharpened hooks) I've been playing around with rod combos and lures to find my niche now to increase hook % yet still big enough for a Muskie.

Anyways hats off as I know the planning and dedication it takes to make this happen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow that's a great report, must be fun landing big muskies from a kayak.
WTG
It was an unreal experience and will be a yearly thing now that I'm hooked on muskie fishing from the yak! Will likely head out in October to do some muskie trolling from the yak!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts