Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Primer

I agree with Smerf's comment about installing a primer especially with pull start machines like mine. It sure cuts down the number of pulls required to start a cold sled when you know for sure there is fuel in the carb. The primer worked beauty on my old Bravo and has done the same trick for my 340 Panther! It was the best investment for this sled.....
Sounds like you had similar success with your sleds...good to hear!....... I did an experiment several years ago with my 97 500cc Yamaha XTC. I was trying to figure out why it took so many pulls to start the sled and it only happened when it was -20 C or colder. I actually had to pull the plugs out a couple times and squirt fuel into the cylinders to get it running... I had gone through the fuel system prior to that and had checked compression and spark. Yet my triple 700 Yamaha would start at these temps but struggled a bit .....key was the triple was electric start and that makes a huge difference as you get allot of fuel draw and ignition strokes when its cranking unlike pulling a recoil! After I installed the primer no more issues!

·
Registered
306 Posts
My 600 Yamaha was the same. -20 was hard to start. Carrying a small bottle of gas helps a lot. A quick splash in the air intake and she comes to life!

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 600 Yamaha was the same. -20 was hard to start. Carrying a small bottle of gas helps a lot. A quick splash in the air intake and she comes to life!
Back in the 70's and 80's you never had to do that.....today we are paying more for fuel and getting less bang for our buck!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Weak Mikuni fuel pumps and poorly adjusted chokes will cause poor starts.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat 2000 XT, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Another -30C morning yesterday...couldn't resist heading out!!

Headed out once again yesterday morning. Unfortunately I could not convince my sane friends to join me so was solo. Nice thing about yesterday, the lake was really quiet, plus NO WIND...reminded me of my days up in the Yukon and Flin Flon on those cold mornings. The Arctic Cat Panther didn't let me down, fired up on the 5th pull..only needed to tend the choke. I headed out to an area within 4 miles of Warner in case things went sideways and I needed to walk back. It was a really nice morning of fishing, iced 10 walleye before the bite died for me at 11 am....I didn't have George there with his Live Scope to figure out the finicky fish as it was really bright out. With no wind I found myself actually turning off the sunflower heater for 15 to 20 minute periods as I was too warm out there in the bright sunshine. The Panther had no issues starting up out in the bright sunshine when I headed back to the truck. Today I found the early fish preferred larger spoons...then jig and minnow did better as the sun rose higher in the sky. I am back to work for the next four nights so was really glad I got out! Good luck out there...tight lines!

Wayne

·
Registered
418 Posts
Headed out once again yesterday morning. Unfortunately I could not convince my sane friends to join me so was solo. Nice thing about yesterday, the lake was really quiet, plus NO WIND...reminded me of my days up in the Yukon and Flin Flon on those cold mornings. The Arctic Cat Panther didn't let me down, fired up on the 5th pull..only needed to tend the choke. I headed out to an area within 4 miles of Warner in case things went sideways and I needed to walk back. It was a really nice morning of fishing, iced 10 walleye before the bite died for me at 11 am....I didn't have George there with his Live Scope to figure out the finicky fish as it was really bright out. With no wind I found myself actually turning off the sunflower heater for 15 to 20 minute periods as I was too warm out there in the bright sunshine. The Panther had no issues starting up out in the bright sunshine when I headed back to the truck. Today I found the early fish preferred larger spoons...then jig and minnow did better as the sun rose higher in the sky. I am back to work for the next four nights so was really glad I got out! Good luck out there...tight lines!
Wayne
Thanks for the update Wayne. Out of curiosity, what year is your Panther?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I picked up a 2000 Arctic Cat Panther 340 CC(pull start, no reverse) two years ago as lake Winnipeg with its hard snow pack was too hard on my old long track Yamaha Bravo(with a wooden seat LOL!!). The lake was shaking that poor machine apart with its lack of suspension. It was great in the softer snows of the North, not meant for the hard snow pack of Lake Winnipeg. I installed a primer on the Panther when I got it. It makes a world of difference on cold mornings as it moves fuel into the carb rather than relying on several pulls to move the fuel into the carb for a start. I have been very happy with the sled so far!

Wayne

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My 97 Indy Trail has electric start but when it is -25°, I have to turn it over a fair bit before it fires. As soon as it fires, it starts and runs fine though. The old battery was 7 years old and felt like it wasn't holding much of a charge any more so I just replaced it last night. At -28 this morning, it started almost as soon as I turned the key, like it was fuel injected. I was starting to think I needed to install a primer as well but wow, what a difference a new battery makes!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I got 11 seasons out of my original Cat AGM battery. I only changed it as it was getting tired and there’s no pull start on a 4 stroke. At the start of next season I’m replacing my 5 season old Bearcat battery. It started way too slow yesterday morning. I’m replacing it with an AGM battery. I’ve had good luck with Motobatt batteries from Canadian Energy here in Winnipeg.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat 2000 XT, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I picked up a 2000 Arctic Cat Panther 340 CC(pull start, no reverse) two years ago as lake Winnipeg with its hard snow pack was too hard on my old long track Yamaha Bravo(with a wooden seat LOL!!). The lake was shaking that poor machine apart with its lack of suspension. It was great in the softer snows of the North, not meant for the hard snow pack of Lake Winnipeg. I installed a primer on the Panther when I got it. It makes a world of difference on cold mornings as it moves fuel into the carb rather than relying on several pulls to move the fuel into the carb for a start. I have been very happy with the sled so far!

Wayne
I asked about the sled cause I thought I saw you couple of weeks ago while packing up at the Warner parking lot. I remember you telling me you had a Bravo. I was looking for an older Bravo for a couple of years, however sellers were asking higher prices than the original purchase price. I finally found a 91 Panther Deluxe with 2.6K on it that is mint. Rev. and elec./start.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I asked about the sled cause I thought I saw you couple of weeks ago while packing up at the Warner parking lot. I remember you telling me you had a Bravo. I was looking for an older Bravo for a couple of years, however sellers were asking higher prices than the original purchase price. I finally found a 91 Panther Deluxe with 2.6K on it that is mint. Rev. and elec./start.

I’ve seen it and it’s way better shape than machines I’ve seen 10 years newer. It was a great find!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Prairiesurfer, I look forward to seeing you out on the ice. I am easy to spot being one of the few with pull start, no reverse machine struggling with the unload...LOL!! Each year it gets heavier to unload so will keep my eyes open for a smokin deal similar to your find! This is my first Arctic Cat, I have been very impressed with it so far......two of my fishing buddies in La Salle both have a sled similar to yours, they have performed flawlessly!

Wayne

·
Registered
418 Posts
Prairiesurfer, I look forward to seeing you out on the ice. I am easy to spot being one of the few with pull start, no reverse machine struggling with the unload...LOL!! Each year it gets heavier to unload so will keep my eyes open for a smokin deal similar to your find! This is my first Arctic Cat, I have been very impressed with it so far......two of my fishing buddies in La Salle both have a sled similar to yours, they have performed flawlessly!

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. My first new sled ever was an Arctic Cat, 79 Panther 440. Over the years I had Motoski, 72 Cheetah, couple of Doo’s and an infamous (pos) TNT340. The Cats never failed me and the only other sled that was as good as the Cats was a 81 Yamaha Exciter I bought for the wife. I’m sure your new to you Panther will serve you well. Simple technology suits me better since we don’t trail ride. The new machines are beautiful however as soon as is see words like MAF, DIC, O2 sensors, variable valve timing, power valves etc. all I see is $$$$$. For preventative reasons I replaced the pistons, rings, wrist pin bearings and gaskets for $170CDN and waiting for carb kit $40CDN. Pretty reasonable.
Enjoy the sled and see you out there, I’ll give you a hand pulling the cord, or at least offer encouragement. lol
Stay safe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Wow really hummed and hawwed about heading out this morning.....was -27C in La Salle with low winds of 10 KM/hr from the West with a wind chill of 37C......balmy......as I hit the hay early after the first period of the Jets game(didn't miss much!!!) and I was fully awake I decided to commit..Solo run...loaded up with my sled....was a cold loading up procedure.........then headed out to Warners Road......have to say that was very surprised to see a dropping temperature as I hit warner road to a _35C!!!! The Arctic Cat started up no problem........thought I was gold until it stalled after I had it off the trailer...tried re-starting it and then flooded it,,,,could smell the fuel. Based on experience I unloaded my sled and loaded it up....waited in the truck where it was nice a warm for another 15 mins and prayed it would start....she fired up with some full throttle choked procedure.. and after running for 5 mins I took it for another 15 min run in a circle around my vehicle at Warner to ensure it would be good to go. I am sure the only other person I saw who happened to be a truck, trailer, running Snow Bear got quite a kick out of the how the poor peeps go fishing in the cold.............-35 C headed out on the sled.....went about 4Kms to a spot where I hoped for the best but knew I could walk back from, and made it!!! Couldn't resist with the cold weather test so I fired up the old Jiffy instead of my K-Drill, started on the 10th pull, nice, drilled my holes, set up the tent which didn't need wind pegs for a change and started a bit later than I hoped at 8:20 am.....wasn't disappointed with early steady action with fish that committed quickly.....the bite slowed down around 10 am however there were steady marks that I was able to trick into biting to end the day(around 1 pm) with icing 19 walleye! As I was alone I decided to pack it in early shortly after 1 pm, no issues packing up as the sun warms a black sled for easier starting. With less wind and sunny weather I actually had my heater off for a few hours during the morning as things were toasty! Today I caught all but one of my fish on jig and salty...thought I would share my last walleye in photo, not a trophy but certainly a fatty!!! This morning at -35C tested the limits of my equipment, I hoped for first sun rise fishing, however spent an hour being sure I could head out on my Arctic Cat 340 to an area where vehicles can't get to. I had a safety plan in place and set up in an area I could walk back from. I was apprehensive, however very happy I went to scratch my walleye itch!!!! Please take pre-cautions if you head out in this extreme cold weather.....I stopped in to check another tent sled set up before heading back.....just part of my Northern upbringing to make sure your neighbors are safe, tight lines stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow really hummed and hawwed about heading out this morning.....was -27C in La Salle with low winds of 10 KM/hr from the West with a wind chill of 37C......balmy......as I hit the hay early after the first period of the Jets game(didn't miss much!!!) and I was fully awake I decided to commit..Solo run...loaded up with my sled....was a cold loading up procedure.........then headed out to Warners Road......have to say that was very surprised to see a dropping temperature as I hit warner road to a _35C!!!! The Arctic Cat started up no problem........thought I was gold until it stalled after I had it off the trailer...tried re-starting it and then flooded it,,,,could smell the fuel. Based on experience I unloaded my sled and loaded it up....waited in the truck where it was nice a warm for another 15 mins and prayed it would start....she fired up with some full throttle choked procedure.. and after running for 5 mins I took it for another 15 min run in a circle around my vehicle at Warner to ensure it would be good to go. I am sure the only other person I saw who happened to be a truck, trailer, running Snow Bear got quite a kick out of the how the poor peeps go fishing in the cold.............-35 C headed out on the sled.....went about 4Kms to a spot where I hoped for the best but knew I could walk back from, and made it!!! Couldn't resist with the cold weather test so I fired up the old Jiffy instead of my K-Drill, started on the 10th pull, nice, drilled my holes, set up the tent which didn't need wind pegs for a change and started a bit later than I hoped at 8:20 am.....wasn't disappointed with early steady action with fish that committed quickly.....the bite slowed down around 10 am however there were steady marks that I was able to trick into biting to end the day(around 1 pm) with icing 19 walleye! As I was alone I decided to pack it in early shortly after 1 pm, no issues packing up as the sun warms a black sled for easier starting. With less wind and sunny weather I actually had my heater off for a few hours during the morning as things were toasty! Today I caught all but one of my fish on jig and salty...thought I would share my last walleye in photo, not a trophy but certainly a fatty!!! This morning at -35C tested the limits of my equipment, I hoped for first sun rise fishing, however spent an hour being sure I could head out on my Arctic Cat 340 to an area where vehicles can't get to. I had a safety plan in place and set up in an area I could walk back from. I was apprehensive, however very happy I went to scratch my walleye itch!!!! Please take pre-cautions if you head out in this extreme cold weather.....I stopped in to check another tent sled set up before heading back.....just part of my Northern upbringing to make sure your neighbors are safe, tight lines stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne
Your a brave man heading out in these temps....glad to hear it all went well, and fish made it worthwhile too. Next time your heading out solo but are looking for partner, give me a shout....just please wait until its at least above -30;)!

·
Registered
664 Posts

Wayne
Did I miss the invite!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I hope that is my last -32C morning of the Season!!!! I touched base with a number of my fishing partners who were looking forward to the warmer weekend and was only able to talk my buddy George into the outing(Livescope!!!! he gets the assist on my success today!!!!). I am back to work tomorrow so was really itching to get out this morning with a nice -24C forecast in Lasalle............My Arctic Cat 340 growled, but started reliably on the 6th cold pull early before first light, did I mention -32C....the 2 stroke smoke was heavy....glad I had my head lamp! Think my old sled was motivated when it saw a Snow bear, tracked Jeep, and tracked Dodge 4X4 show up! We headed out to a hot spot in 12 FOW under the ice and had lots of marks....however have to say the fish today were lethargic after 2 weeks of really cold weather. I hoped to repeat my day of last week with company, however it was not meant to be.....though I did catch this nice 27" fatty during the morning of fishing(fyi still swimming) which was frustrating with a number of marks which would not commit...we only iced a dozen fish today...locals like myself consider this a slow day.....our American neighbors would consider this to be the best day of fishing they have ever had...we are spoiled!! Today all lethargic fish were caught finessing jigs, nothing on spoons or rattle bait... Tight lines,, enjoy the nice weather out there, fish are back around on the West Side!!!!
IMG_0820.JPG

27" West Side Fatty!!!!!

Wayne

21 - 38 of 38 Posts