Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty cold, actually really cold morning, however I was fortunate to join a crew to hit Warner this morning. I arrived with my F150 showing a temperature of -23C( wind chill -32C). Nice hitting the lake on a cold morning like this with 5 others in case of any cold weather failures!! Have to say I really miss my old Yamaha Bravo...whole wooden seat and all on cold mornings like this, however my old school Arctic Cat Panther 340 surprised me this morning by firing up on the first pull!!! I was really encouraged by the start, loaded up, set my GPS for the latest hot spot I had for the group..........cold weather makes things fail....500 m into the cold ride the connection to toboggan failed for one of our group. He tied a rope which broke again, then another of the group offered a strap which worked for the rest of the day. As we continued on to the best hot spot for Lake Winnipeg..... my GPS died....argggg so frustrating as it had 4 bars out of 5 upon leaving my truck......and only my GPS had the coordinates....thankfully I always carry spare batteries.....however as it was still dark out(Murphy's Law!!!)...I did not realize that I put these new batteries in backwards.......(-30C shit happens freezing fingers kind of error....arrrgggg!!!!). Last GPS coordinate I saw before the GPS died showed we had another 1.1Kms to go.......we were now blind to find a fishing spot.....we ended up setting up on location in !4FOW blind hoping for the best. I was relieved as one of our crew hit early marks and iced 5 fish. My buddy with Livescope put on a fishing clinic icing 15 walleye while the rest of us struggled.....we moved again.....though the deeper spot did not pay much dividends....as the morning bite was over and everyone was frustrated with frequent marks which would not commit....the best part of this move was the large amount of deer sausage I brought for our afternoon snack. I can not say enough about the success that good electronics brings....my fish ice percentage vastly improves when my friend George tells me there is a fish heading my way, verses reacting a fish that finally hits the cone of my flasher....

For me a day of tough fishing in -30C conditions is still better than staying around home on a day off, thanks my friends for an awesome day out on the ice.........our difficulties getting out there resulted in me seeing one of the most awesome sun rises of the year out on the ice! Thought I would share a different experience where I struggled to ice fish today(only iced 8), meeting new fishing friends, wishing I had money for a livescope.......and having an awesome day out on the ice on a cold day REGARDLESS!!!!

Wayne

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
It's pretty cold out there right now. I just got back from fishing on the river from 4:30 to 9:30. It also feels cold because we haven't had much of this weather yet so the contrast of the nicer days really make these ones sting...

Caught more walleye than sauger tonight, but just small guys. Lots of continuous marks though in 13.5 fow. Managed to coax a 17" walleye into striking after playing with him for a while...which is a good sign... All other marks were just lookers, as usual.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Agree. Yesterday, actually the night before, was the first time my Yamaha wouldn't start this year apart from fouled plugs. Thought it was a dead battery but now thinking it might be something with the relay. Super cold, moisture and electrical components don't mix.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Agree. Yesterday, actually the night before, was the first time my Yamaha wouldn't start this year apart from fouled plugs. Thought it was a dead battery but now thinking it might be something with the relay. Super cold, moisture and electrical components don't mix.

Common issue on the Cat T660 4 strokes. It’s the drastic temperature changes with sledding then warm moist garage storage. It wreaks havoc with the fuel pump relay. In 15 seasons it happened once to me. Loaded sled on trailer and put cover on it, got to Richer and it wouldn’t start.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat 2000 XT, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.

Reactions: abousetta

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wife and I spent half a day at EOM. Definitely fresh out but at the same time very enjoyable Manitoba fresh air. I marked one fish, however the wife did pull out a 20" hammer handle, which I heard about for well over a hour and a half ride home. By the time we reached our driveway I think she was calling it "JAWS", lol.
New to me, our 30 year old Panther Deluxe 440 performed flawlessly in the sub zero conditions as did the rest of the equipment.

Ice looked to be about 20", water clarity quite good but lots of ice cracking and groaning heard when trucks passed 100 yds. away.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have to love those old sleds. My 23 year old Indy is also preforming famously again this winter. Met an older couple out at Birch 2 weeks ago with a 48 year old 1973 Polaris Colt I think it was. Started on the second or third pull, and away the went hauling a sled full of fishing gear. I LOVE that!

·
Registered
319 Posts
My dad used to own one of those polaris colt's At the time a great little unit!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Have to love those old sleds. My 23 year old Indy is also preforming famously again this winter. Met an older couple out at Birch 2 weeks ago with a 48 year old 1973 Polaris Colt I think it was. Started on the second or third pull, and away the went hauling a sled full of fishing gear. I LOVE that!

How was fishing at Birch? Is it worth the long haul from Winnipeg?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just a note for those struggling to get older sleds started on really cold days. Chokes were all that was required back in the day when they sold real Gasoline!.... Now when it's colder than -20 it doesn't work that well.....I installed a primer on some of my past sleds when I had this issue and it does the trick every time!....cheap and reliable starting!

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's not unless you want to set tip ups for Pike.

Well that changes my plans for Friday lol.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat 2000 XT, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.

Reactions: PrarieSurfer

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Common issue on the Cat T660 4 strokes. It’s the drastic temperature changes with sledding then warm moist garage storage. It wreaks havoc with the fuel pump relay. In 15 seasons it happened once to me. Loaded sled on trailer and put cover on it, got to Richer and it wouldn’t start.

I've had 2 different yamaha relay freeze up on my and throw a code, they have a new upgraded relay for them. Warming them up in the tent always got them going again

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've had 2 different yamaha relay freeze up on my and throw a code, they have a new upgraded relay for them. Warming them up in the tent always got them going again

That’s what the Cat guys do too. Trouble is if you’re new to a 4 stroke, you have no idea why it doesn’t start.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with Smerf's comment about installing a primer especially with pull start machines like mine. It sure cuts down the number of pulls required to start a cold sled when you know for sure there is fuel in the carb. The primer worked beauty on my old Bravo and has done the same trick for my 340 Panther! It was the best investment for this sled.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts