Why do carp surface? - Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanked 1,293 Times in 492 Posts
Default Why do carp surface?

I was fly fishing the Red recently in the floodway and every once in a while a carp would jump 2' into the air. Why do they exhibit this behaviour at this time of the year?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Old 06-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rookie Angler

It could be one of several reasons. Changing feeding depth,from deep water to shallow as the water warms up, means that the pressure of the carp ‘s swim bladder must change - jumping can enable it to happen more quickly. Or, it has been sticking its head deep into silt whilst feeding and needs to clean out it’s gills. Or, it’s been feeding on shap food such as freshwater mussels, for example and is cleaning out some of the sharp bits which are causing irritation. Take your pick!!
IzaakWalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultimate Angler

Thanked 1,573 Times in 633 Posts

Dozens and dozens of carp were surfacing and tailing all along the shoreline and in front of me the other morning while I was fishing a secluded creek outside the city.
They were huge and often had one or two smaller ones sidled up alongside them. Likely spawning. They would rut down nose first and splash water with their tails. This went on for hours and hours during the early morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in