Smoke’n turkey like a boss - Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Angler

Default Smoke’n turkey like a boss

Smoke’n turkey like a boss

12 lb Utility Turkey…. Came frozen…..I thaw it in the brine.
Just reminder of the ingredient of picking spice ….. so I do not have to answer the question…Does it taste like pickles? It has dill…but the main feel you get is from the Ginger the Cinnamon and the Cloves.

1.jpg

• MUSTARD SEED, CORIANDER, BAY LEAVES, DILL SEED, FENUGREEK, CINNAMON, GINGER, ALLSPICE, RED PEPPER, BLACK PEPPER, CLOVES, HIGH OLEIC SUNFLOWER OIL.

1 cup Clubhouse Pickling spice
2 Heaping tea spoons of Kosher or Pickling Salt
2 Heaping tea spoons of Brown Sugar
1 heaping tea spoon minced garlic

Brine….. In a clean food grade pail I put Mr. Turkey , The Salt/Sugar/Garlic
The pickling spice I put in a pot on the stove full of water and bring to a boil then pour it over the Turkey and top the pail up with water…..put the top on with a good seal and let it sit (in the fridge if you have room)…..because of the weather I just left it on the counter in the breezeway (cool enough)

If you want to do it cheap and easy Cabela’s sells a prepackage brine (about $4 per/pack)……double the packs if it is a big boy.

2.jpg

After 2 days (More if you like) Remove from the brine and give it a rinse

This is my stand….A beer can chicken roaster (Canadian Tire /Walmart ect) then I give a larger “footprint” buy using some copper wire and tying it to a perforated pan that was originally used for pizza. The center can (sorry did not have beer in cans) gets another half cup of fresh spices and just tap water.

3.jpg

Mr. Turkey poses for a pic (I opted for the “fighting” stance)

4.jpg

Now for the first time I will do the smoker step by step
I Have 2 smokers one from Walmart and one from Canadian Tire based on this smoker….

smoker.jpg

The best part is both companies did such a great job of ripping off Brinkman that all the parts are interchangeable… (Brinkman probably made both and they just used their own colors)

First is the burner unit/Stand…..Just a big cast iron burner with a regulator
(The sheet metal wired on to the side helps keep the flame when you want to turn it down really low)

5.jpg

Then the combustion section…..it comes with a pan like a pie plate that you are supposes to put your Charcoal (if you choose) or you chips….I tossed that and replaced it with a bigger cast iron Dutch Oven pot….Filled here with Cherry wood.

6.jpg

This next part is optional….a water pan…..I have a couple of different kinds of these….some for just water….and one nice stainless steel one that you can use to cook with….example….If I am doing pork shoulder for pulled pork…..fill the pan with some water….uncooked brown beans…onion….sweet peppers….as the meat smokes the drippings fall into the pan and cook together so you end up with real smoked bake beans….
For this one I am just using it as a water pan to keep the moister level high….but I am recycling the water I used to brine it so all those spices and flavors’ get used again.

7.jpg

Then the Grill Barrel….This is where having the interchangeable parts come in handy…..if Mr Turkey (or whatever you are doing….is too tall to put the lid on…….. you could add another grill barrel right on top for just one big object or about 26” tall max (I added an extra grill to each barrel taking it from 2 to 3) 6 grills ( about 8.5 ft²)

It this case I just use the very bottom grill one barrel and the top (you can now see the liquid in the pan)

8.jpg

The guest of honor strikes a defiant pose…….Little bit of poultry seasoning sprinkled on for luck..

9.jpg
Shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Angler

Like all BBQ/Smokers they come with a built in thermometer (you can see it on the back side of the lid by the handle)
I have always used what is call a Candy thermometer (used for making candy and deep frying) and this shot shows when checked with the laser it is quite accurate. (You might have to zoom in)

10.jpg

This went for about 4-4.5 hrs ( That is the approximate time the chips will keep smoking) for the size of the bird that is good…..If it was bigger and required more cooking time I would put it in a foil pan with a lid or wrapped in foil and finish it in the BBQ or oven……The guy looks proud

11.jpg

The smell of the cherry wood mixed with the cinnamon, ginger and cloves is terrific….
I do not usually serve it immediately….This one is in a foil pan with a lid in the fridge……maybe for next weekend…

FYI…..We also made a Turkey for thanksgiving the conventional way….
Shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shakespeare For This Useful Post:
clawj (12-15-2019), rikmon (12-05-2019), shadow lake (12-06-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in