Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

Garson Sport Fishing Park

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  cdvia69 
#1 ·
Has anyone been here? Would it be a good place for me to go? I don't know anything about lures and bait or how to tie a proper knot. I don't even know how to use my fishing rod. Could someone there teach me?

#4 ·
Did you go to a tackle shop like some members suggested?
(Pro-Am, Cabela's, Wholesale Sports, even Canadian Tire)

Cabela's is having Fishing Week right now..

Reel in the Fun: National Fishing Week at Cabela’s

July 2 - July 10 (Store Hours)

Catching Trophies on the Red

Saturday, July 9th (3 p.m. - 4 p.m.)

Fishing Week: Kid's Games and Activities

July 10th and 11th (11 a.m. - 3 p.m.)

Rod and Reel Selection 101

Saturday, July 10 (1 p.m. - 2 p.m.)

Fly-Tying Made Simple

Sunday, July 10 (2 p.m. - 4 p.m.)

There's YouTube, various threads on this form, Google..

I think you first need to do a little research on your own. There is tons of content out there, and if you are truly interested in fishing, you will take the time to develop the basics.

#7 ·
At gaRson sports park I've never been skunked Peter is very helpful and goes the extra mile to make sure his customers have a good time. About 10 years ago or so there was a flood and he got a flux of northerns in there that almost wiped out the trout,ha has 18 ponds on the property but the pond I like is the 1 dedicated to the remaining northerns there are some monsters in there . If you want trout worms work great, but I prefer the meps # 2 a gale spinner in yellow or orange . And now there are some 16 to 22 inch rainbows in there use a 6 pound mono as these fish are smart . Been going there for almost 20 years and loved every time I've been there even learned how to fly fish there . He has rods and tackle there for his customers to use or you can bring your own

Either way you will have a great time
Robert Edge

#8 ·
At gaRson sports park I've never been skunked Peter is very helpful and goes the extra mile to make sure his customers have a good time. About 10 years ago or so there was a flood and he got a flux of northerns in there that almost wiped out the trout,ha has 18 ponds on the property but the pond I like is the 1 dedicated to the remaining northerns there are some monsters in there . If you want trout worms work great, but I prefer the meps # 2 a gale spinner in yellow or orange . And now there are some 16 to 22 inch rainbows in there use a 6 pound mono as these fish are smart . Been going there for almost 20 years and loved every time I've been there even learned how to fly fish there . He has rods and tackle there for his customers to use or you can bring your own

Either way you will have a great time
Robert Edge

#12 ·
I've been to Catch A Rainbow. Just north of Deacons corner. $10 adult admission. $.50 per inch for the fish caught. Only catch and KEEP. By appointment only...evenings and weekends. I've texted and gotten in within an hour of contacting him.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
The evening bite was good. VERY light bites though. Ultra light rod was a must and quick reflexes to set the hook as soon as I felt that slight tug.
My 4 year old daughter caught her first fish here this year.

Daytime was a bust for me...but it was hot and sunny, so it was understandable.

The lawn is manicured right to the water's edge on shore and the island, so it made it easier to fish with a young child.

#17 ·
Great place to take younger kids. Room to take a break, run, and play when needed to keep it fun if the fishing is slow. If you have never fished with a young child you wouldn't understand the importance of being able to take quick play breaks to keep it fun.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I remember fishing there about 12 years ago. My friend's sister's boyfriend was an avid angler. He told me he knew the guy who ran the place and that we could fish there for free. I never saw anyone and while we saw lots of fish, we got skunked. In the coming months I came to realized this guy was a pathological liar. I have often wondered to this day if he hadn't lied about that. I saw him again just recently after 10 years. He told me he was a fishing guide in Ontario now. Of course he may have lied about that as well. LOL!

#22 ·
A Fish Farming Licence is required for a commercial operation or for fish farming
in water bodies surrounded by Crown land. The licence is valid from April 1st to the
following March 31st, and is issued from the regional Department of Conservation office
closest to the water body. A Fish Farming Licence grants the holder rights for any of
the following types of operations:
• To stock and harvest fish for commercial market sale. The fish may be sold
directly to local consumers, or to wholesalers, retailers, and restaurants,
providing the fish have been processed in a manner approved by a Health
Inspector.
• To stock fish in a water body for sale to the public by means of angling,
commonly known as a "U-catch-'em" or "fee for fishing" pond. People angling at
such an establishment do not require a provincial angling licence, but must retain
a receipt showing the source of the fish for their own protection.
• To act as a broker, importing live fish from suppliers outside the province and
reselling them in smaller lots to private or commercial fish farmers in Manitoba.
You are correct. My source was ill-informed. :)

#25 ·
Just heard at work today that Garson Sportfishing is for sale and has been run by another fellow for the last 3 months...I went there several times over the years, dating back over 15 years ago but not in the last 2-3 years. Kinda surprised he is selling as I thought it was a good business with folks looking at filing their pond on their property...I sure hope they keep the business going as it was a fun place to go if you wanted to go fishing near Winnipeg and especially for some species that were not available nearby...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.